Pleco question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieKlein

Aquarium Advice Addict
Im looking for a really neat pleco for my 37 gallon tank to go along with
2 german blue rams
2 gold honey gouramis
12 rummynose tetras
4 julii cory catfish
8 von rio flame tetras
There a re alot i really like, like the zebra pleco, but im not willing to pay 200 dollers for a pleco, mabye 40 at the most. any ideas?

I got a snowball pleco that's really sweet looking! It was less than $50.00 for sure.

I like the mustard spot plecos. Seen one at my lfs, he's 50$ flat.

There are lots of plecos that stay under 5" long. I've been out of the pleco scene for so long that I don't remember which ones they are :(. The ones that do come to mind and the clown pleco and the bushynose pleco. The bushynose pleco is my fave because they are always out and about. Most plecos hide a lot.

Here's my L52, these don't go over 8" in my experience. If they do, they grow verrrryyyyy slowly in aquaria. Usually at around the 30$ mark.

Attachments

• image-2160013859.jpg
    image-2160013859.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 112
4338619983_7803853b2c.jpg

*Now I'm starting to remember some names...
L200 stay small and don't grow very fast. I've never seen one over 5" or so. I had one in a 38 gallon for about a year, long ago. They're a bit pricey. Also, they hide a lot. I think you should get a bushynose just because they are more active and don't hide as much.

*Now I'm starting to remember some names... L200 stay small and don't grow very fast. I've never seen one over 5" or so. I had one in a 38 gallon for about a year, long ago. They're a bit pricey. Also, they hide a lot. I think you should get a bushynose just because they are more active and don't hide as much.

Mine was 6 inches, I also agree if you want to get an active pleco, any of your varieties of bristlenose will stay in that size range and provide you with something to look at often. Most other small plecos will stay hidden and only come out at feeding.

Attachments

• image-1482998732.jpg
    image-1482998732.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 89
Mine was 6 inches, I also agree if you want to get an active pleco, any of your varieties of bristlenose will stay in that size range and provide you with something to look at often. Most other small plecos will stay hidden and only come out at feeding.

I don't know what that was sold as but it isn't an L200 IMO.

How about an L-144 longfin a blue/black eyed bristlenose

I'm not a fan of those long-fin plecos. They just look so unnatural to me.
All good suggestions. I like the golden nugget. Nice pleco. Again though, shy. Don't see it often. Same goes for the bristlenose from my experience. BUSHYnose, however, tend to be out and about more, so I prefer them.

That's still my number one suggestion. Stays small. Easy going, active, doesn't hide as much. CHEAP. Bushynose all the way.

The genus Ancistrus goes by different names such as bristle nose, bushy nose, etc. But there are different species within that genus.

(buzzer sound) incorrect my friend. They are two different fish.
Mr. Sprinkles you might want to get your eyes checked, and your plecos straight. This is my same l-200, but in the water. It is a female, and I believe the one in the picture you posted is male. I know what it is. Also, (buzz) incorrect, the correct answer goes to kuhli girl. Bushy and bristle are both prefixes that describe a wide variety of ancistrus species. They're very general. The only way to specifically describe an ancistrus is by it's scientific name.

Attachments

• image-1790907526.jpg
    image-1790907526.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 73
Back
Top Bottom