Plecos Plecos Plecos!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jbarr

Aquarium Advice Freak
Royal Pleco from fins.actwin.com:
royal-pleco2.jpg

As a preface; I've attained a recent affection for these algae-loving suckerfish, and I recently got a Temmincki (bristle-nose??). I just wanted to make a sort of Plecostymus appreciation topic, they don't get enough credit :wink:
I also have had a common hi-fin for just short of a year or so now, coming up on 5 inches now. Can't wait for him to get huge.

Is it true that plecos get hardier as they age?

Feel free to use this topic as a sort of pleco-free-for-all, but to offer some sort of structure to this, I leave you with this question:

What are some of the cheaper, less-common plecos? Or is that sort of an oxymoron??
Also, what are some plecos you'd be likely to find in an LFS?

Thanks, have fun!

yeah they become liek tanks when they get middle aged, nice pleco Love the red eyes and stripes of those guys, I've seen some monsters at my LFS , some reaching well over 14 inches at least, 90 bucks a pop

img_742988_0_5b592d789a1a95be819b63295fd907ba.jpg

This little beasty is now much bigger, and has a 6' tank nearly all to himself. He's a friends gibby, and is something like 14" I would say. He hand feeds, loves having his belly stroked, and is a real show off.

I actually didn't like plecs, one of very few fish I've never been keen on, but recently purchased a gold marble bristlenose plec for my malawi cichlid tank. It's a real beauty, and has changed my opinion of them!

That royal pleco is gorgeous!

Great topic. I love plecos, the little waste machines they are!

My fav plecs are Hypancistrus species!!! They stay small (mostly) and they are more carnivorous so they aren't the waste machines as other plecs. I have two Hypancistrus....I have a Rio Jari (L-316) in my 29 (here's a link for info & pics: http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/species.php?species_id=1055 )....he's about 4" at full grown, and I have a Queen Arabesque (L-260) in my 55 ( here's a link for info & pics: http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/species.php?species_id=229 )...she's about 4" also. These are not cheap, easily found plecs. I got both of mine online, but they were worth it!!!

Here's my guy in a holding tank (with my hand for scale, and java fern :)). 7-8 years old, 13". I would consider rhino plecs one of the less common but affordable plecos. I haven't seen one in a store since I bought him, but that might just be my area.

mrrhino.jpg

Now that's an awesome looking fish!

I have a few bristle noses but the biggest is still only about 3"

I'd love one that size!

man i wish i could have a huge beautiful pleco! i can only fit bristlenoses! though "just bristlenoses" are still my favourite fish :D

here are mine - an albino and a peppermint bn.

Attachments

• p1030192a_185.jpg
    p1030192a_185.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 38
  • p1030333a_161.jpg
    p1030333a_161.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 46
Oh boy! Haha I should've further clarified. I WISH that was my pleco! Boy, I've been kind of saving. THIS is my pleco, a temminicki (is this just a common bristle-nose?)
plecosf2.jpg

I've recently been struck with the pleco bug as well. Got my first one and now I'm redoing my whole 40g tank plan to center around plecos. I know of a breeder close by that sells BN's at 1/2 the price of chain stores, that's pretty darn cheap. Getting them straight from the breeder is the way to go IMO.

I really want to get some of those Longfin Albino BN's but they are quite pricey.

What do you consider "less expensive"? Below $50?

my peppermint was $45 (australian), which is about the most expensive i could let myself go for a fish.

Lovemybarbs, I love that photo! He's a real beaut!

They're all great photos: I wish my plec would show up better on camera but he's a teeny tiny baby right now and the only shot I could get of him near the front of the tank is of his mouth, lol.

hc8719 said:
is that a common or a rhino mosiac?

whats the max size of rhinos?

He's a rhino pleco. The store said he'd get 8", books said 10". He topped out at about 13". :roll:

Edit: Another pic during a PWC! You will notice the complete absence of plants in his tank. He's a bulldozer.
I need to get some good full body shots with my new camera!
mr3.jpg

Burks said:
What do you consider "less expensive"? Below $50?

Yes, that is 'less expensive' in my book.

Mosaic, that Rhino is awesome! Wow he looks beastly. Any other fish in that tank with him?
What size tank btw?

He's an absolute brute. He's got a pair of kribs and 4 Alestes tetras with him. It's a 55g, and I admit at least a 75 would probably be better, but other than him there's almost no bioload.

Back
Top Bottom