Poly-Fil

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anna94

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have the following questions regarding Poly-Fil.

1. Do I really need Purigen in my filter if I have Poly-Fil in my filter?
2. Does Poly-Fil really make water crystal clear like a lot of people claim?
3. Where in my filter do I put the Poly-Fil (I have an AquaClear 50)?
4. How often do I replace the Poly-Fil?
5. Does Poly-Fil really remove particles and dust/debris from my tank/water?

I am not sure about the Purigen, never used it.

Yes, polyfill will clean the very small particulates out of the water.

In my HOB Aquaclear filter I ran:

Bottom -> Coarse Foam
Middle -> Zeocarb
Top -> Polyfill

Never used any bioballs etc in the filter. Now, this is just how I did it and I had success. With the polyfill, as it is super cheap, I would change it when it looked really brown.

Polyfill will definitely take some particles out of the water but I don't think it is good as 100 micron felt pads. They really clean the water. But then again, I use them in wet-dry filters and they might not work as well on a HOB filter. And I use purigen for very fine mechanical and chemical cleaning. My tanks stay very clean.
But a lot of it, the cleaning, depends on the water flow, the amount of particulates generated, the number of fish, etc. Change it when it gets dirty.

Purigen and floss have overlapping abilities but different main jobs. Purigen is a chemical filter, whereas floss is mechanical. You don't need Purigen, but it's a lot better than carbon- and rechargeable!

Purigen and floss have overlapping abilities but different main jobs. Purigen is a chemical filter, whereas floss is mechanical. You don't need Purigen, but it's a lot better than carbon- and rechargeable!
Plus one for the purigen. Great product.

Back
Top Bottom