Pond goldfish are very scared

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishdok

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi i have three goldfish in a small pond and the three of then huddle in a pot when anyone comes near the pond , i see a herren on my next door neighbours roof , could this be why? , im afraid that the conditions in the pot are getting bad , any help would be appreciated :)

fishdok said:
Hi i have three goldfish in a small pond and the three of then huddle in a pot when anyone comes near the pond , i see a herren on my next door neighbours roof , could this be why? , im afraid that the conditions in the pot are getting bad , any help would be appreciated :)

How long have they been in there? Are they really young/small? Maybe keep them in a tank till they get older?

Birds and racoons like ponds, at least that's what happened with a neighbors koi and i m not sure what you mean about a pot. Is it like a cave for them? Sounds like a good idea and IMO as long as there's water circulating around it, it should be fine.

That's what happened to my koi, come out one morning to have a cup of coffee on the deck and guess what's next "holy $&@! that crane has one of my $100 koi in it's mouth". I tried decoys, nets, and even some electronic repellent and that bird and a racoon ate every koi. Still have the pond running with plants but no fish.

Maybe one summer my oscars can be free for a couple of months and maybe show the racoon a thing or two!

How long have they been in there? Are they really young/small? Maybe keep them in a tank till they get older?

Birds and racoons like ponds, at least that's what happened with a neighbors koi and i m not sure what you mean about a pot. Is it like a cave for them? Sounds like a good idea and IMO as long as there's water circulating around it, it should be fine.

No these fish are are around 3-5 years old , and they have been in the pond just over a week, and yes i have sunken a plant pot in there for protection They love it too much!

That's what happened to my koi, come out one morning to have a cup of coffee on the deck and guess what's next "holy $&@! that crane has one of my $100 koi in it's mouth". I tried decoys, nets, and even some electronic repellent and that bird and a racoon ate every koi. Still have the pond running with plants but no fish.

Maybe one summer my oscars can be free for a couple of months and maybe show the racoon a thing or two!

Omg sorry to hear about your koi , re-introduce some fish and see how it goes , buy a statue herren because when a herren see's another herren near a pond they dont go near it :)

fishdok said:
No these fish are are around 3-5 years old , and they have been in the pond just over a week, and yes i have sunken a plant pot in there for protection They love it too much!

I'd give it some time for them to adapt, they'll come out and be less afraid after time. Do you hand feed them?

Well, they're trying to hide from the big critters that know goldfish make a tasty snack! We had problems with this until we got a heron statue and stuck it in the ground next to the pond. It keeps all the other animals away and our goldfish/koi are happily swimming around and come to the surface when they see us coming.
Just a suggestion.

Back
Top Bottom