Possible planarian worms in cherry red shrimp tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

new2betas

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have noticed some weird looking things in my cherry red shrimp tank today. I think they might have been too small to see before....but I have researched a little and think they might be planarian worms. They are growing on a sword plant I have in the tank and on the walls of the aquarium and even down in the gravel. Are these dangerous for my shrimp and what should I do, if anything, about them? I think they are nasty looking little things, but if they are harmless I won't worry about them. I wish I could put some type of fish in there that wouldn't bother the shrimp but would eat things like that and nematodes....
Any suggestions??

Wait...I just googled planarian worm images and that is not what is in my tank.....the things in my tank look like tee-niny sea anemone...they are in a fixed spot but have these tiny threadlike offshoot arms.....

Can you describe what the possible Planaria look like? You mentioned that they are attached, which leads me to think hydra instead.

Yes...it's like they are "rooted" for a better word. Like a sea anemone has a "base" and then finger like projections...that is what these look like, but teeny weeny little things...
Joy, I just googled hydra images and that is what they are....are they bad or dangerous?

okay, from what I am reading on here, these hydra can eat shrimplets.....NOT GOOD, this is my 10g cherry red shrimp tank and I should have some shrimplets in there right now....:( NOT HAPPY! I read that salt would kill them...can I do salt with shrimp???

Unfortunately they can eat the teeny tiny baby shrimp, but they would have to get in range of the hydra. Also if they're green, they're eating algae and not shrimp. I haven't found a good way of removing them as yet. My shrimp population increases despite their presence so I've been ignoring them for the time being.

Unfortunately they can eat the teeny tiny baby shrimp, but they would have to get in range of the hydra. Also if they're green, they're eating algae and not shrimp. I haven't found a good way of removing them as yet. My shrimp population increases despite their presence so I've been ignoring them for the time being.
The ones in my tank appear to be white, even though they are growing on a green plant among other things. What could they be eating to have exploded so quickly! Will they eat my adult shrimp? If these hydra stay in my tank will I be unlikely to have baby shrimp? I don't think I like this very much! Plus, I think they are quite scary looking...

Hydra can have tentacles longer than 8". They can and will eat shrimplet and adults. I have seen them catch and eat full sized pregnant female guppies before.
Don't use salt in your shrimp tank. They may not like it.

I hate to say it but I just pulled out three plants that had hydra all over them and I could see the shrimp swimming past them and "jumping" out of their tentacles ways...I got mad and took out the three plants that had the most of the hydra on them and I scraped down the sides of the tank...I hope it helps. I could tell my shrimp were trying to swim around all of them the best they could....your right kimo those things have some long tentacles....gggrrrrrr.

wow....please tell me the ozelot wasnt in that tank....ill might have to dip it otherwise

LOL!! No it wasn't! The ozelot is in my new 29g uninhabited tank! Believe me, I am not happy about it! I through three otherwise healthy plants away because they had the ugly little things all over them and they were bothering my shrimp...I was watching and the shrimp would get close to their long *#@&*# tentacles and would scurry away as fast as they could. I am hoping I haven't lost too many baby shrimp, but there is no way to tell!

Smaller hydra should only be a danger to the smaller shrimp, but if you've got a larger variety they could be dangerous to larger shrimp too. Rather than disposing of the plants, you could try dipping them. Since most of the hydra in my tank appear on the glass, I haven't tried a dip.

Smaller hydra should only be a danger to the smaller shrimp, but if you've got a larger variety they could be dangerous to larger shrimp too. Rather than disposing of the plants, you could try dipping them. Since most of the hydra in my tank appear on the glass, I haven't tried a dip.

It's too late, Joy! I already did it. I had read about dipping in a few places and I would have been reluctant to put them back in my tank with my shrimp anyway, so I tossed them. They were kind of "extras" anyway. The tank has more than enough java moss and two wisteria plants in it....so, I didn't feel too bad. I just got angry watching my shrimp swimming around and they would come into contact with those tentacles and jump away....made me mad and I acted impulsively and threw the plants out that had the little suckers on them!

I wonder if it was from the person that you purchased the plants from on Aquabid. I've NEVER seen hydra in any of my tanks so I know you didn't get them from my moss or shrimp.

Oh ... I know it wasn't from you Bryan....sorry, I should have clarified! I figured they must have come in on some of the bigger plants also, as one of the ones in there was from the aquabid person. I had not seen them at all until about a few days ago and I had your shrimp and moss in there for a long time before that...

I know you didn't think it was from me...no worries. Just wondering if it was from the person I suggested, which I'd be highly surprised if it was since he has flawless feedback and a great reputation.

I guess it's possible he might not even know he has them. From what I have read about how quickly they can multiply they could creep up on someone pretty fast. I wonder if I should email the guy and ask if he has seen any on his plants....

I'm sorry to hear about this. I have also been known to use the 'slash and burn' technique when seeing something gross in my tank...

I've also read somewhere that you can try to kill them off by removing the wanted lifestock and raising the temperature to 110F for 10 minutes (removing filter media temporarily to preserve the biofilter inside)... You then let the water cool naturally, or do a partial water change refilling with cold water. Better than salt or medicines, in my view.

...not sure if this is helpful. I've never seen shrimplets, but they sound delightful. Maybe they're just too tiny to take out individually, I'm not sure...

Good luck.

jd

yeah...it would be near impossible to take out all of the shrimp and shrimplets in order to break down the tank...I don't want to go that drastic, but I am not happy the hydra are in there.

Good luck finding a heater that will go up to 110F! I'm sure there is something out there to rid the tank of hydra but I haven't ever needed to look into it as I haven't had that problem.

Back
Top Bottom