predator tank and food help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

livefishguy124

Aquarium Advice FINatic
i want to set up a predator tank for a 30 gallon, i saw some videos of large pike feeding on other fish and other fish eating other fish, and id like to set up a tank, a 30 gallon with a predator that would be able to eat like 1" goldfish or guppies, i know i cant have anything big like pike but what can i have?

and how could i set up a tank that the fish would breed and i would have a steady supply of live foods for the fish.
i need
fish?
tank?
tank setup?
water quality?
other information?
i don't want to remove babies or the parents i just want to have them breed by there own:thanks:

First thing is, DO NOT feed big fish goldfish. They seriously lack nutritional value and can give your fish a parasite. People do it on YouTube but that doesn't make it good.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

What do you mean by predator?

A number of species could work.

A pair of Monocirrhus polyacanthus would work well. However they generally won't eat anything other than small live fish so I don't know how well that would work for you. If you could do that, I'd look into them.

Harder to find, but still interesting, would be the smaller members of the genus of Ctenopoma. They enjoy live fish as well, but can also be coaxed into eating frozen foods.

Exodon paradoxus, a member of the tetra group is a nasty, greedy, scale eater that will sometimes take entire smaller fish.

I can update you later on other species I find. I'll have to get back to you on the other questions. Anything else?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

First thing is, DO NOT feed big fish goldfish. They seriously lack nutritional value and can give your fish a parasite. People do it on YouTube but that doesn't make it good.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

REALY? i did not know that. i will definitly not feed goldfish then.

What do you mean by predator?

A number of species could work.

A pair of Monocirrhus polyacanthus would work well. However they generally won't eat anything other than small live fish so I don't know how well that would work for you. If you could do that, I'd look into them.

Harder to find, but still interesting, would be the smaller members of the genus of Ctenopoma. They enjoy live fish as well, but can also be coaxed into eating frozen foods.

Exodon paradoxus, a member of the tetra group is a nasty, greedy, scale eater that will sometimes take entire smaller fish.

I can update you later on other species I find. I'll have to get back to you on the other questions. Anything else?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

feeding live foods is fine for me if i can get a setup to feed them, and have enough food all the time.

South American leaf fish would be a fun predator fish, although they're not really recommended to beginner fishkeepers. Worth researching though!

Edit: Just noticed they were already recommended! +1 to superpeytonm!

Possibly an mbu pufferfish, but they're brackish.

Nooooooooooo. Do you mean a figure 8 pufferfish? Mbu's are freshwater and get huge.

Last edited:
South American leaf fish would be a fun predator fish, although they're not really recommended to beginner fishkeepers. Worth researching though!

Nooooooooooo. Do you mean a figure 8 pufferfish? Mbu's are freshwater and get huge.

Mbu get huge. Like +200 gallon tank I think it is? Leaf fish are not terribly complicated but they need slow moving water, dim lighting, and lots of plants.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Mbu get huge. Like +200 gallon tank I think it is? Leaf fish are not terribly complicated but they need slow moving water, dim lighting, and lots of plants.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

They don't need dim lighting... I have my leopard ctenopoma with lights everywhere and he's fine. 5in. big too!!

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

They don't need dim lighting... I have my leopard ctenopoma with lights everywhere and he's fine. 5in. big too!!

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

It really depends as with any fish. From what I've read about them they like the dim lighting but I assume it's no big deal.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

The South American leaf fish can be a little tricky to feed. Some will only accept live foods and they do not do well with tankmates that are in any way boisterous or aggressive eaters.

Sent from my iPad using science

It really depends as with any fish. From what I've heard about them they like the dim lighting but I assume it's no big deal.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Agree with that^^ honestly any fish can adjust to anything as long as your water parameters are good and the fish is not stressed all the other stuff like decor, plants, gravel just help the fish feel more like home

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

Agree with that^^ honestly any fish can adjust to anything as long as your water parameters are good and the fish is not stressed all the other stuff like decor, plants, gravel just help the fish feel more like home

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

There are exceptions. Example: Loaches NEED sand or they are likely to get cut up by the gravel.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

There are exceptions. Example: Loaches NEED sand or they are likely to get cut up by the gravel.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

True true but I'm saying for the most part. Some fish have their exceptions

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

True true but I'm saying for the most part. Some fish have their exceptions

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

Then again I'm biased to sand anyway. Back on topic hmm predators... It's definitely limited by the 30 gallon size.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

i am a experienced fish keeper, so that's not a problem and nether is food, if i can make a self supporting colony of feeders

i am a experienced fish keeper, so that's not a problem and nether is food, if i can make a self supporting colony of feeders

If u want a colony of fish you could breed guppys.... There cheap and when YOU personally breed them you would know if there sick or not...
I would go with a ctenopoma

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

Personally I think you should be saving for that 5236.4 gallon tank on your other thread ?

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

If u want a colony of fish you could breed guppys.... There cheap and when YOU personally breed them you would know if there sick or not...
I would go with a ctenopoma

Rockyofhockey _/.\_
i think i will what are some good tankmates for them? what ctenopoma whould you recomed?

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

My 2 yoyo loaches and angelicus botia live with a gravel substrate just fine. No cuts and/or worn barbels.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom