Preggers platy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

harryc

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Is the bottom platy in this pic pregnant? I think she is, any guesses how long it might be til she gives birth?

Attachments

• image-4033854586.jpg
    image-4033854586.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 75
Hard to tell. Can you get a better picture? Ill be able to tell if it's a little closer.

-Dylan

There we go....

Attachments

• image-2807504850.jpg
    image-2807504850.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 73
  • image-1666624165.jpg
    image-1666624165.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 73
Mhm... A little unclear but she looks gravid. How long has she been so plump?

-Dylan

Yeah shes got some babies in there. Has her behavior changed at all? From the last couple days? Because her having babies can be from now through five days from now.

-Dylan

harryc said:
Really noticeable last few days, but maybe a week and a half.

Judging by you said really noticeable she must be a lot fatter than usual, and is a good sign she will have them soon. Anything else that you've been noticing with her lately?

-Dylan

Not been in a great deal so haven't noticed anything, she definitely wants to hide more than usual. Thanks, much appreciated.

Are you planning on keeping the fry? Do you have a separate tank set up?

In loving memory of Pansa Princess, the greatest horse who ever lived. May you rest in peace.

Was planning on letting nature take it's course, as and when and even if any survive I might take them to the lfs. No separate tank, I'm only a few weeks into my first!

Yeah. If my fish ever have any fry that I don't want, nature will take its course. Which with six hyper zebra danios, they'll probably all be gone.

In loving memory of Pansa Princess, the greatest horse who ever lived. May you rest in peace.

I've only got the other 2 platys so far so there is always a chance some will make it, unless the filter eats them....

If you want some to survive put some hiding spots in the tank. higher up is the best, its away from all the action on the bottom.

-Dylan

harryc said:
I've only got the other 2 platys so far so there is always a chance some will make it, unless the filter eats them....

And thats not necessarily true, I've seen a in labor female swordtail in a ten gallon with just two other tank mates'( 1 female sword and a male) and they lined up behind hr while she popped out the babies and they just munched away. Lol.

-Dylan

Dylan5359 said:
And thats not necessarily true, I've seen a in labor female swordtail in a ten gallon with just two other tank mates'( 1 female sword and a male) and they lined up behind hr while she popped out the babies and they just munched away. Lol.

-Dylan

Lol. I can see that in my head. It's too funny of an image to really be sad.

Back
Top Bottom