Pregnant or not

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agree with gaby about watching for stress. I don't put my livebearer moms into breeding nets anymoe because of the stress. But, if you are more comfortable with doing that, then put her in the breeding trap for only about 1-2 days at a time, then put her back in the main tank for a day. They need to swim around a bit in order to get the process going and some females will just refuse to drop fry in the breeding traps, but some will do it, so you never know. :)
As for how long, it could be a week or so.... Its kind of hard to tell honestly. The first drop tends to have fewer fry than later drops. :)
Good luck! Its super fun to raise them and see what colors they develop. :)

We have had a couple fish have babies before. We had a few live for a few weeks. We didnt have out 10 gallon yet to raise them in, and they eventually got eaten :-( But they were so cute

You can kind of tell shes about ready if when you see her from the front, and her belly is buldged out and kind of squared looking \__/

I have a problem.
Two of my black and yellow platies keep sorta going for my white and black, orange. Pregant one. What do it do?

image-2731391822.jpg

image-509751176.jpg

Attachments

• image-4116577234.jpg
    image-4116577234.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 67
that just means she will put off having them for a few more days. my guppy gave birth to 2, aborted for 4 days and had another 47. the first 2 died anyway, so aborting might actually be a good thing in some cases... plus if the other fish are chasing her there wont be any babies at all they will get eaten immediately. sorry x

nah they dont disintergrate in her belly lol.
when she is in the breeder, maybe u can put in a small fake plant or fake fern so that the babies have more chance of living.
and keep feeding the mum even while she is birthing, to avoid baby losses.

the best breeder net to have is a plastic box, so they get access to all the tiny bits of food they eat best.

what were u going to feed them?

i hope this all helps :)

Ok, sorry, but "abort" absolutely does not mean wait, it means the same thing in fish as in people. It means exactly what the OP thought it meant. If the platy mom gets too stressed, she can push out the undeveloped fry/embryos too early.

Robert, what gender ratio do you have? The platys going after her appear to be males. Yes, that is stressful for her. You may know this, but just in case you don't, it is recommended to keep 2-3 females for every one male. That way, the males' constant attention is split up between the females and nobody gets too stressed. :)

She still look very round, not square yet, so it will still be a little bit IMO. It can be hard to tell exactly with livebearers, but in general, they should square off before dropping fry and she is not square.

If you want her in there she she won't get chased, thats fine, but remember what we said about not leaving her in there for too long. She needs to be able to get out and swim. :I personally think its too early to be putting her in there at all, but thats up to you. :)

Ok thank you i will take the sections out and then she can swim around abit more. Also i will let her out of there like every 3 or 4 days. And i think i have 3 females and 4 males. So i have the wrong ratio :(.
I have my brother to moan at for that!!! :'(

Back
Top Bottom