Prego Platy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

darby

Aquarium Advice Activist
She keeps getting fatter by the day. Should I put her in a breeder net, or let her birth the fry and then try to catch them and put them into said net? First time with one.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110327_001432.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110327_001432.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 99
I would go with keeping her in the net. Just get her out asap When she has the fry

Sent from my X10a using Aquarium

Here it is.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110328_150751.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110328_150751.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 85
You probably have a little while longer to wait. Light-colored livebearers like that will tend to start getting a dark spot near their "port" (they give birth from the same hole that they poo from) and she will start looking less curved on the bottom and more like this: \____/.

Most livebearers can have batches of fry as often as once per month or once per 2 months.

Oh crap... I think I have another one that's prego too. I don't think I'll have enough room for all of those babies.

Another ten gallon for the fry is great with a sponge filter and a bare bottom tank. That way pwc's are easier and the dead
Ones can be siphoned out

I would love to have another tank. I already have a 10g and a 29g. My apartment is pretty small. None of my friends have tanks, either. This stinks.

10g:
Black moor, calico fantail, two platys(one male, one female), and a female betta

29g:
Seven platys (four females, three males), five zebra danios, male betta

Oh, well maybe when the goldfish get to big you could but not much you could do now. Maybe buy a breeder net if that wasn't mentioned or maybe a smaller tank but I wouldnt do a 2.5. Possibly a 5 until they get too big.

I already have a breeder net, but its only 8x6x6(in). And I can only have one batch of fry in there at one right? Maybe I'll get another one.

It is possible the bigger ones will eat them. I really would think of buying a small tank or going to some fish clubs in your area. They might be able to take care of some or have extra things laying around

Mine isn't close either. If you can go once a year or something that would be good. I am looking at one to go to this month. It is a reef propagation month and I will ask some questions about it and starting up. Maybe a member is willing to sell me something for Cheaper than usual

Back
Top Bottom