Prego swordtail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

francisham

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Good morning everyone, so my female swordtail is pregnant and had this big belly (with a red dot around her lower abdomen) for about 3 weeks to a month. I noticed recently that she was being harrassed by the three other males at times and looked tired so I acclimated her to my 10g quarantine tank. I just wanted to know how long it takes for a female to push her livebearers out? Was is a good idea to move her to this tank? I fear her being stressed from the move will harm the "babies" even though she eats and doesn't seem like a disstressed fish at the moment..

Thank-you! [emoji4] 20180825_090951.jpg20180825_090939.jpg

I'm really not your go to guy reference Swordtails, but I have kept them. There are numerous Swordtail breeders on AA that will probably chime in. I believe the pregnancy duration is approx. A month. Probably a good move placing the female in a seperate tank. Better chance for the baby ST' s survival.

I’m kind of an accidental swordtail breeder, but my female seemed to be pregnant for at least a month. I just woke up one morning and there were babies, for me there’s never been an issue with the adults eating the babies.!i feed the babies crushed up pellets and they seem to do fine.

Back
Top Bottom