Preping Driftwood and other questions...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kiskadden

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I got my shipment of tank parts and misc and of coarse I have more questions... thank you all for being so awesome and patient with me.

I got my 4 mostly awesome shaped pieces of small driftwood (2 mopani and 2 malaysian)and was wondering a couple of things...
-Is it ok to stick more then one type of driftwood in a tank?
-Can I soak them all together or should I do it by type or by piece alone?
-I don't have the option of boiling them since I don't have a crappy pot to not care about ruining so can I just just use full blown really steaming hot water?

Now that I have my API freshwater test kit...
-Should I measure my normal tap water?
-If so, how should I go about doing it? (ie, do I fill a glass and let it sit for a day or any other weird things?)

Other misc questions...
-Now that I have all my working parts, whats the best way to go about testing them all to make sure they work? Do I need to do it in primed water so the chlorine doesn't mess anything up?
-When should I go about ordering live plants? I know it will be at least a week (if not 2 or 3) for the driftwood to leach tannins but I am not even sure if I should already have the tank running before I get the plants or if I should do it all the same day the plants arrive? (I don't want to stir up the substrate and cause issues... I got fine grade eco-complete that comes with the liquid inside the bag.)

:thanks: for all your help! :flowers:

So I got my shipment of tank parts and misc and of coarse I have more questions... thank you all for being so awesome and patient with me.

I got my 4 mostly awesome shaped pieces of small driftwood (2 mopani and 2 malaysian)and was wondering a couple of things...
-Is it ok to stick more then one type of driftwood in a tank?
-Can I soak them all together or should I do it by type or by piece alone?
-I don't have the option of boiling them since I don't have a crappy pot to not care about ruining so can I just just use full blown really steaming hot water?

Now that I have my API freshwater test kit...
-Should I measure my normal tap water?
-If so, how should I go about doing it? (ie, do I fill a glass and let it sit for a day or any other weird things?)

Other misc questions...
-Now that I have all my working parts, whats the best way to go about testing them all to make sure they work? Do I need to do it in primed water so the chlorine doesn't mess anything up?
-When should I go about ordering live plants? I know it will be at least a week (if not 2 or 3) for the driftwood to leach tannins but I am not even sure if I should already have the tank running before I get the plants or if I should do it all the same day the plants arrive? (I don't want to stir up the substrate and cause issues... I got fine grade eco-complete that comes with the liquid inside the bag.)

:thanks: for all your help! :flowers:

About your driftwood, I don't see the harm in soaking them together. And I would think pouring boiling water over it would be ok, I did this approach when I got rocks from a local creek to put in my tank and I haven't had any issues.

It's a good idea to test your tap to know if you have any existing ammonia, nitrite or nitrate. Also it's helpful to know your waters true pH. To test your true pH put some water in a glass and stir occasionally over a 24 hour period then test for your pH. The pH you get from this should be what your tanks pH stays at.

You can buy plants and have your tank running whenever you want. I'm assuming your familiar with the 2 methods of cycling? Which method do you plan on using?

About your driftwood, I don't see the harm in soaking them together. And I would think pouring boiling water over it would be ok, I did this approach when I got rocks from a local creek to put in my tank and I haven't had any issues.

It's a good idea to test your tap to know if you have any existing ammonia, nitrite or nitrate. Also it's helpful to know your waters true pH. To test your true pH put some water in a glass and stir occasionally over a 24 hour period then test for your pH. The pH you get from this should be what your tanks pH stays at.

You can buy plants and have your tank running whenever you want. I'm assuming your familiar with the 2 methods of cycling? Which method do you plan on using?

Fishless, I already have the ammonia too... just gotta start soaking the wood. :D

You are fine putting the driftwood in a different container (like a bucket) and pouring boiling water in them. The plants will be fine with tannins and you can put them in the day you set your tank up, plants wont mess up your cycle. I have fine grade eco complete and i poured in the black water stuff and it isnt really messy or anything. Im really curious as to testing tap water with or without prime. I know prime can give a false positive for ammonia. Good luck with your tank!

Back
Top Bottom