Protection for shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rjrossi88

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys. Quick question. I just got 6 amano shrimp and am worried that the power of the filter intake may suck them into it. If this a possibility or can they avoid it? And is there a way to protect them if it's a danger?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You could install a pre-filter on the intake, or just put a piece of sponge on the intake tube.

I have a pre-filter on the intake in my shrimp tank, but I have red cherry shrimp which are smaller.

Amano shrimp are great. Because nothing will happen. Than when babies are there. But that does not go in freshwater.
In my Shrimp aquarium I have gravel filter tube with airlift.

In my Shrimp aquarium I have gravel filter tube with airlift.
Yes, best way to go for filter pre-screen, IMHO. I've been burying my canister filter intakes under the substrate. You'd be surprised what gets sucked into the filter sometimes - despite your best efforts to prevent it. :eek:

Would this be a type of pre-filter you would go with?

I should have been clearer at first, the amanos I bought are a decent size already. I'm more so worried about them getting stuck to the intake than then getting sucked into it.

Would a sponge pre prevent them from getting stuck to it?

Attachments

• 1467028681896.jpg
    1467028681896.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 64
Would this be a type of pre-filter you would go with?

I should have been clearer at first, the amanos I bought are a decent size already. I'm more so worried about them getting stuck to the intake than then getting sucked into it.

Would a sponge pre prevent them from getting stuck to it?

I have those pre-filters on all of my tanks with shrimp, fry or nano fish in them. They disperse the suction enough that my red cherry shrimp can crawl on the foam but aren't plastered to it.

I have also put just a rectangular piece of sponge over the intakes and it accomplished the same thing, and didn't take up as much room in small tanks. The pre-filters stay on the intake better though - the sponges could easily be dislodged.

102018-albums14463-picture70335.jpg

The plastic box 1 is filled with coarse gravel.
The air lifts the water in the pipe. Below water is sucked. through the gravel.
Small shrimp can not disappear through the stones.
Every 2 weeks the glass tube pull up, take out box, pour, wash with lukewarm water. Little work..
It can be seen through the plastic wall, as it is dirty.

A sponge like the one you posted will work fine. Shrimp like to graze on them too.

Back
Top Bottom