Pudgie's Lesson on Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BettaGal

Aquarium Advice Addict
This is my goldfish, Pudgie. He shows us all that just because a fish appears to be weak, doesn't mean it is.

The first picture of him was taken on June 17, 2013, the day my boyfriend and I went to buy him. He was rather thin for an Oranda, as I discovered upon researching the type, his spine was bent, and he was VERY shy. He would sit in the back corner of the tank or in the middle and try not to move. I believe the picture shows the injury around his fin, and there were two more just like it. He would not hardly eat when he was first bought. He was looking like he would be in trouble very soon.

The second picture was taken today, August 22, 2013. He's much rounder in his belly, his injuries have healed, and his spine is straighter. Now, if I don't pay enough attention to him to satisfy him, he will pick up a piece of gravel and spit it at the side of the tank closest to me. He takes great pleasure in sticking his butt in the air bubbler and being floated up by his butt :blink: . He eats like a vacuum cleaning shark and leaves hardly any behind now. He's much happier and healthier now.

Sometimes a fishy just needs a little extra TLC, and then all will be fine.

***Note: This lesson is not meant to be mean or scolding in any way. I just have way too big of a heart to say a fish is weak or too deformed and should be "discarded" because of it. My fish are my kids.***

***Note: Pudgie gets a bigger tank here soon. Within the next month.***

Attachments

• Pudgie Before.jpg
    Pudgie Before.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 75
  • Pudgie After.jpg
    Pudgie After.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 77
What a cute little lionhead! He looks SO much healthier! Keep up the great job taking care of him and make sure he (or she) is getting a quality food for wen development. :)

What a cute little lionhead! He looks SO much healthier! Keep up the great job taking care of him and make sure he (or she) is getting a quality food for wen development. :)

Thank you.

He's a lionhead?? The sticker said Oranda, but then again, he is a Walmart fish. I can't figure out how my boyfriend could name an emaciated fish Pudgie, but I guess the name fits now. Lol.

Yep! No dorsal fin and chain stores do not sell ranchus. He will develop a wen like an oranda as long as he is getting a nutritious diet with lots of protein. :)

Yep! No dorsal fin and chain stores do not sell ranchus. He will develop a wen like an oranda as long as he is getting a nutritious diet with lots of protein. :)

Ok. He still got rounder. Lol. At least I won't be panicking should he have turned out to be a kind that has no hat. When I get him a bigger tank, he's getting a "girlfriend". A fish that enjoys getting his butt blown needs a girlfriend....

Ok. He still got rounder. Lol. At least I won't be panicking should he have turned out to be a kind that has no hat. When I get him a bigger tank, he's getting a "girlfriend". A fish that enjoys getting his butt blown needs a girlfriend....

LOL!!! You just made my day!

Wow, what an improvement!

He looks great now! He's lucky to find a home with someone who cares so much!
I've always wanted a lionhead, you have no idea how jealous I am! I wish I had the room to devote such a large tank to only a couple fish!

Back
Top Bottom