Purigen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bigge_al

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was reading a post concerning removing Ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and tannins and they said Purigen was great stuff so I researched the product and read this --->Purigen® darkens progressively as it exhausts, and is easily renewed by treating with bleach. How can bleach be any good to reintroduce the material back into your aquarium.

If you would have sufficently researched the product you would know Purigen is made by a company called Seachem.

There instructions for renewing it are as follows

"Regeneration: Soak in a 1:1 bleach:water solution for 24 hours in a non-metalic container in a well ventilated area and away from children. Rinse well, then soak for 8 hours with a solution containing 2 tablespoons of ChlorGuard™, Prime®, or equivalent dechlorinator per cup of water. Rinse well. Original color and full activity should now be restored and Purigen® is ready for reuse. Caution: some slime coat products may permanently foul Purigen® and render regeneration difficult. Do not reuse if odor of chlorine is detectable. In case of doubt, soak beads in small quantity of water and test for residual chlorine with a chlorine test kit." - Seachem. Purigen

So if follow there directions exactly you should have no problems.

My point was that would you risk even a trace of bleach left to be introduce to your tank. I was just starting a discussion.

If it removes ammonia and nitrites, then what feeds your beneficial bacteria? Doesn't seem practical to me. Might as well just cycle a tank to have a good colony of bacteria.

Back
Top Bottom