Q for those with Python siphoning system or similar...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

illuminum

Aquarium Advice Freak
From what I understand all yo uhave to do is hook this thing up to a faucet and you can pump water directly into the tank. I don't understand how you all can do this. Doesn't the water have to be dechlorinated first? Do you just fill the tank with the chlorinated water and then put the dechlorinating chemicals directly into the tank? If so, doesn't that really stress everything in your tank?

I'm confused...

All I do is match the temp and add the water. I either add the dechor while adding tap water, or afterwards, depending on if I have have help or not.

From what I've read here previously, it's OK to just add the dechlorinator afterwards. But here's what I've been doing:

I put my appropriate amount of dechlorinator into a measuring cup (2 Cup volume) along with anything else I want to add at the same time (for example: plant fertilizer). I hold the measuring cup just above the water level of the tank, and then fill the cup with the new water from the Python. As the water overflows the cup and spills into the tank, the new tank water is getting mixed with the additives at the same time.

Probably overkill, but that's just me. :wink:

For all my water changes, I've just been adding the water directly from the tap after approximating the temperature. I've got an artesian well I'm drawing from, so there's no chlorination to worry about. I check chemistry 3 or so hours later, and so far, there's really been nothing to worry about.

I asked this same question a few weeks back. From what everyone said, it's safe to just add the de-chlor after you add the water!

-brent

I asked the same question a year ago! TankGirl assured me it was fine. I've been fine with this system ever since.

IMO, if you add dechlorinator afterwards, you are introducing your fish to a minute or more of unneccessary stress. I view it as throwing a human in a room filled with noxious gases for a minute or so and then giving them suitable air to breathe. I certainly would not like to undergo that kind of treatment every week, so for my fish that is just unacceptable. What I do is run the python into a 5 gallon bucket with the appropriate ammount of dechlorinator for 5 gallons of tap water. I have a pump in the bucket that I switch on when the bucket is full that then goes into the aquarium. I repeat this process until the tank is topped off. To me, this is more humane and doesn't give the fish a minute or so every week of having to deal with respiring chlorine.

I just add dechlor before filling back up with water. Been working fine for over 25 years.

Is it worth it to get a Python? I want to, but still haven't completley decided; are there any hassles that come along with it or is it just perfect in every way :)wink:)? Does it also do the reverse, where it can drain water from the tank?
Thanks.

purplestarfish, I find that its only shortcoming in design is non-concurrent dechlorination which I address by doing an "in-between" procedure as stated in my previous post above.

purplestarfish said:
Does it also do the reverse, where it can drain water from the tank?
Thanks.

Yup. The python is a gravel vac, and tank filler in 1. All you have to do is flip a switch and you go from sucking to filling.

-brent

If you have a large tank, or several small ones, and you need to move a lot of water every week, then I really think a Python (or similar homemade device) is the way to go. It's so much easier than hauling buckets back and forth. JMO.

The only downside I can think of is that it wastes a lot of water. The water you extract goes straight down the drain (instead of in the garden or on the lawn), AND you have to run your tap at the same time, which wastes even more water.

It does drain from the tank. It contains a attachment like the old waterbed adaptors that both fill and drain. The only problem I have had is with the threads stripping and that has happened once on mine and I have had it for years. On the plus side replacement parts are easy to find.

Yeah, the threads at the faucet end have stripped for me, too. I think there's a brass adaptor that you can get that replaces the plastic one. If so, I'll get it next time I'm ordering from bigalsonline.com....

There is a brass adapter, and I would recommend to anyone to go ahead and use it from the start, since I had trouble with threads stripping and could not get the plastic piece off at all after a while.

I stand there and drip the dechlor in as the filling is happening, and I have never seen any signs of stress from my fish, even cardinals, who swim right through the current as it is filling. It may be that the chlorine in my water is less than other systems, so who knows.

You don't have to waste water when draining as long as your faucet is lower than the surface of the water. I start the syphon with the faucet, then once that starts turn off the faucet and the syphon continues. Sometimes I unhook it and lay it in the bathtub to drain (and fill jugs with tank water for the houseplants - better than Miracle Gro!)

Yes. The Python does a wonderful job of draining the tank. When you buy it, buy the brass faucet adapter. It's much better than the plastic one that comes with the tank and tends to wear out quickly.

Back
Top Bottom