Q's about 10gal hex

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Endgame319

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've scrapped the idea of using it as a fry tank and now I have no idea what I am going to put in it. Would a single angel be fine in there? If so, what other tankmates could it have? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Also, what is the cheapest way to deal with the oxygen problem that comes with the tall hex tanks?

A fry tank and an angel? You mean you would like to give your angel live food? :lol:

I guess you should put some peaceful, small fishes, e.g., rasboras, or tetras so that your fry will not be eaten.

As for oxygen: a pump and airstones. For a 10gal, a small pump is $14, and an airstone $5 (all in US dollars, so it's a little bit more in canadian dollars).

A 10g hex is too small for an Angel IMO. Angel can get pretty big and do like taller tanks, but a 10g would be really pushing the limits on letting the fish move around.

One thing you might consider is the Paradise Fish, Macropodus opercularis. They're aggressive fish but, when in good condition, they can be spectacularly beautiful. They can survive water conditions that would kill most tropical fish (not that you'd ever give your fish those kinds of conditions). Being anabantoids, there won't be a problem with lower dissolved oxygen levels at the bottom of your tank.

Macropodus opercularis males can be vicious and two of them will frequently fight to the death, going through all the gill-flaring hystrionics that Betta males do. They can also be rough on the females when breeding time comes around. Even with those drawbacks, however, give these fish a nicely planted tank and some tough (and not long-finned) tank-mates and I think you'll be very happy with them.

I have the same 10 gal hex tank, except we put a mini bio wheel on it. It is home to 6 wonderful Badis badis and a butterfly loach. The little Badis badis enjoy the middle to upper levels of the tank.
They are the cute little fish and have interesting behaviors. Mine like to stare at the top of the tank and wait for food to fall out of the sky (preferably live food, but mine are enjoying frozen blood worms). As for extra oxygen, I wanted a wall of bubbles. Although, I will admit that I went too cheap on the air pump (=not enough bubbles for my liking). I have only had the fish since last week, but I REALLY like them and highly recommend them.
I wish I had a digital camera to show you my set up, but you will have to use your imagination. Since Badis badis originated in an area where roots are coming into the water, I placed a tall, skinnish, curvy log in the tank and I bought a large fake plant (I don't know what it's supposed to be). The plant is so long that it comes up to the top of the tank and then comes across the top and back down about 6 inches. My Badis badis seem very happy and I am very happy to have them!

http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/breeding/Parry_Badis_badis.html
http://www.petresources.net/fish/misscel/bad_bad.html
http://aquadex.info/fish/Badis_badis.cfm

HTH

Menagerie - I'd love to see pics of your Badis! I keep seeing your posts talking about them. I looked them up and they come in all kinds of colors apparently. I even saw purple fish!

Do you plan on getting a large tank for them as they grow up?

Sati--
My Badis badis are brown with black and orange stripes, but they change color depending on where they are in the tank. As for a larger tank--by the time the Badis grow up, we should have a 50 gal for our community tank, so I will probably take half of them and let them live in there. Originally I bought three Bb to live in the community tank, but my fiancé said we could get a tank just for them! Now, I am working on a bumblebee gobie tank (20 gal BW)! I just need to find gobies!

As for the paradise fish, they are quite beautiful. I had 3 males in a community tank with a bunch of gouramis, a female betta, some catfish, etc, and they were never very aggressive. The male gouramis were much more likely to get caught nipping fins and chasing the slower fish around. They each had a little hiding place (not even really territory, just a nook or cranny) and the ony times I saw them try to nip was when someone else actually got in their space with them in it. My friend also has them with angels & rainbow fish and they never bother anyone else. Maybe their aggressive reputation is just that, or maybe its just a local strain?

I have badis badis as well. They are wonderful fish, very interesting personality. Mine has very vibrant blue finnage and a deep purplish body, his color changes depending on his mood though. I have a pic of him in my gallery, go take a peek.

Thank you for telling us you have a Badis pic, puffergirl. Your Badis is more colorful than mine are, but I hope with the right foods mine will color up a bit more (they are brown with black and orange stripes). I would love to post pics, but my aquarium hobby is developing quicker than my photography hobby! I am hoping to purchase a digital camera before my wedding, but that's still 6 months away. :roll:

Thank you for telling us you have a Badis pic, puffergirl. Your Badis is more colorful than mine are, but I hope with the right foods mine will color up a bit more (they are brown with black and orange stripes). I would love to post pics, but my aquarium hobby is developing quicker than my photography hobby! I am hoping to purchase a digital camera before my wedding, but that's still 6 months away. :roll:

Back
Top Bottom