Quarantine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Grand1011

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was wondering how many people actually quarantine new fish. I was thinking of getting a 10 gallon kit to use and was wondering if that's big enough to quarantine larger fish such as rainbows. Money is an issue and I can't go much over 50$

Not many people quarantine unless they've had previous problems or have very large tanks so its not bad but unnessisary

I quarantine because and I just use a 10 gallon for most of my cichlids. If they are small enough (no more than 3 inches) and they are only living in it for a few weeks they will be fine.
But also keep in mind that you can find cheap cheap old tanks on Craigslist. you for have to buy a starter kit. You also don't have to keep it set up at all times. You can keep it in your closet.
All you need is the aquarium a filter and heater. Air pumps are optional but I'd recommend it. So you don't have to worry about gravel and all that junk. Maybe just a piece of PVC for a hiding place.
If you do buy a starter kit make sure it's for TROPICAL fish. Not goldfish. If its a goldfish starter kit it won't include a heater.
I apologize if you already knew most of these things but I figured I would throw them out there.
For around $55 you can get a 20g kit
Good luck

I was wondering how many people actually quarantine new fish. I was thinking of getting a 10 gallon kit to use and was wondering if that's big enough to quarantine larger fish such as rainbows. Money is an issue and I can't go much over 50$

I quarantine for four weeks without exception. Treat them with anti-parasite medication as internal parasites can be difficult to see until it's too late.

The second you have to deal with a sick fish or an outbreak you learn how easy quarantining is in comparison to treating an issue.

Personally 10G is too small for larger fish.

It's up to you how much investment you want to make in quaranting your fish. For example if all you have is say a few guppies then spending the time, energy and cost to setup a quarantine tank may not be worth it. Conversely if you have expensive fish like discus then you'd be foolish to ever not quarantine a new fish.

Not many people quarantine unless they've had previous problems or have very large tanks so its not bad but unnessisary
I wouldn't say it's unnecessary, but I wouldn't say necessary either. It's a good and strongly suggested thing to do, something that I'm learning now. Wether it's a 20g or 100g tank no one wants to spend the extra money treating an infection or put their pets through the added stress of fighting an illness. I think a 10 gallon would be fine for a qt but if you're trying to stay under 50 bucks and since nothing but a tank, heater and lid is needed for a qt my suggestion would be to get a standard 20 gallon during the $1/g sale at petco, a filter, and the cheapest lid you can find(doesn't even need lights, though hoods with lights are only about $18). That will give your larger fish more space so less stress but still easily cleaned and stored for when you need it.

Back
Top Bottom