Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fisheyes

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Okay so you know those plastic bars that go accross the middle of 55 gal. tanks? Why are they there? I really want to put a 48" hood on mine instead of 2 24" and i was pretty much wondering if i could just cut or saw them off. Anyone have any reasons why i shouldn't?

That bracket is designed to support the tank (divides the weight into two equal parts). Removing or altering the bracket will reduce the structural integrity of the tank, which could lead to enormous stress on the glass. This could lead to the glass cracking.

Question, most 55gal tanks come with 48" hoods which cover or go over the top of the bracket. I'm sure you can find one that will. Do you know the manufacturer of the tank?

Mine came with 2x24'', I wanted to but a versa all glass hood pref. a 48'' but my lfs said that because of the bracket i couldn't and would have to have 2x24''. I don't know the manufacturer of the tank. If it helps it was just one that i bought at petsmart around christmas, actually it was a present!

I purchased a used 55gal that had the center brace removed. I filled it up and had it like that for about 5 months, thinking nothing of it. I had a wooden canopy over it. I happened to read something about the bowing glass about a month ago. I removed the canopy and measured the distance on each side of the 55 and the distance in the middle without the brace. It was well over an inch. 8O

The plastic trim was beginning to break in the corners, where it was the only thing besides the silicone keeping the tank together. I had to replace the trim since I did not want to think about picking up fish, rocks, 55 gal of water, etc...

The trim allows manufacturers to use thinner glass, relying on the brace to provide adequate support.

JMHO

As far as lights go, I would recommend going with 2x24" CF lighting rather than paying more than you need to for a 48" NO fixture. The 24" CF lighting is much more efficient and there is no such thing as a 48" CF tube. Unless you're looking at a 48" fixture that features multiple 24" CF tubes. But I'm with the others, DO NOT remove the brace, that would just be asking for a disaster.

Oh, that's a good one. I was just worried that you were trying to use one of those expensive (and fairly worthless for growing plants) 48" NO fluorescents. The one in the link you posted is an excellent light for plants and will work quite well. It gives you 2+ wpg which is perfect for most normal plants. You may want to consider CO2 if you enjoy growing the plants that you get with this much light. You're right on the edge of needing CO2 to avoid algae issues but don't worry about it unless it happens. Your plants will love that light :)

Will the light be okay over 2x24'' hood? I think i'm going to start with a diy co2 and then eventually when i have the money go to a real one.

That light should work perfectly over a 55G. DIY CO2 can be a lot of work with a tank as large as yours. I've always used pressurized so I can't really help out much with how to go about it, but there are plenty of people here on AA who can give you good advice :)

Back
Top Bottom