Question About a Siamese Algae Eater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reefman

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just went to my local acuarium shop and got me a Siamese Algae Eater. I asked the guy from the shop that they grow up big and I only have a 10g tank, he told me that they won't grow up if they are in a small tank like mine. So I ended up buying one of them.

My question is, if is true that he won't grow up big in my tank?

It is true in the sense that it will stunt their growth and it is unnatural. They need to be in a larger tank. I would return it to the lfs if it were me.

Do you know if you got a true SAE or a flying fox? They are often mis-labelled. The true SAE's have the black stripe that goes all the way through the tail. The flying fox's black strip stops before the tail.

Both grow large and the flying fox gets aggressive.

Im gonna have to take a Picture of my Algae Eater, cause I dont see any stripe on his body. Im goin to post a pic, as soon I get a good view of him,.

Here are the pics

This is the pic of my algae eater, see if anyone can recognize the tipe of algae eater that this one is.

Attachments

• DSCF0004.jpg
    DSCF0004.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 86
Agreed it is a pleco. Probably a common pleco and the grow huge. Not 100% positive on the common pleco, but if it is a common pleco you need to take it back to the lfs.

Thats a pleco cuz....and they can grow quite large (depending on the species) about 1 foot......
Get a Brsitle nose pleco ..they look alike except for the bristles on their nose and they only grow about 5 inches

ouch, someone needs to be fired. Ill see if i can get a pic of mine up so u can see what they look like

OKay i got a picture of mine, i think hes a False SAE aka flying fox but i could be wrong. His name is Mr Miyagi and hes a pest. It got so bad that i add'd my fish into my 55 gallon early and kept him in my 29gallon to seperate them. He was tormenting my goldies to no end : ( well hope the pic helps
If you cant see it here its in my pics on the profile also
pirateshake-albums-fish-picture1197-mr-miyagi.jpg

Well I should get what my cuz said, a britlenose pleco. Thanks guys. And the picture above I.m not sure what it is, can some one help Pirateshake to identify this fish.

Back
Top Bottom