Question re; Aluminum frame/support on top of aquarium.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

targaboy78

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am just in the process of setting up a new "odd-ball" size tank. 30 gallons; 56" L x 24.5" H x 5" W (yes five inches wide). It will be built into a wall between my living room and a stairway leading to the front door (visible from both sides).

The original owner of the tank had it custom built as a room divider about 10 years ago. The tank is quite tall and at one stage, the water pressure caused the glass on one side to crack. They had the glass replaced and they installed an aluminum frame around the top to support the glass and keep it from bowing out.

Do I need to worry about the aluminum?
* I know it won't rust but will it oxidize and drip chemicals into the tank?
* Will weekly water changes and careful monitoring of the water chemistry keep it in check?
* Will coating the underside of the aluminum with silicone help?

What are the other issues that I should watch out for?

The original owner had no problems with the aluminum affecting the fish but I want to proceed with caution.

Any information or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Aluminum Frame

If it's freshwater, set it up, fill it and enjoy.

I have a 30 that has been in use for over 20 years and it's entire frame is made of aluminum, including crossmembers.

Just perform regular maintanence as with any other tank.

I would not use it for S/W due to corrosion and aluminum oxide build-up.

Hope this helps... :D

Thanks alot for the advice fishnutz. I'm just a little on the cautious side, I guess.

Hi Jacob, I'll take photos throughout the construction phase and I'll post the link so you can check out my "handywork".

I'll also keep a list (probably a long one) of things that I goof up, so that if anyone attempts to build one similar, they can avoid some of the pitfalls that I ran into.

Thanks guys.

Back
Top Bottom