Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shope.hannah

Aquarium Advice Freak
I tested my water today and my ph was 7.6 almost 7.8. It's always been this way so I guess there's no need to change it and I've been told not to use products to lower it. My fish are great. Just wondering what you guys think about this. Also, my nitrates are very low. I know it's not toxic but my nitrites are perfect! So it seems cray that there are almost no nitrates... Any thoughts on this?

Your ph is fine. As for low nitrates a lot of things can keep nitrates low in a tank. Low bio-load along with good WC'ing schedule and plants are probably the 2 most common reasons. When you say low, what is the exact number? If you have a planted tank you want your nitrates at 10-20ppm.

I have mostly fake plans and two real plants. They were between 0 and 5 before I added real plants and now they are barely up from that and I'm using the API master kit test.

Tank Water Chemsitry

I tested my water today and my ph was 7.6 almost 7.8. It's always been this way so I guess there's no need to change it and I've been told not to use products to lower it. My fish are great. Just wondering what you guys think about this. Also, my nitrates are very low. I know it's not toxic but my nitrites are perfect! So it seems cray that there are almost no nitrates... Any thoughts on this?

Hello Shope...

Unless you keep and breed rare fish, you'll be better off concentrating on more important aspects of the "water keeping" hobby than worrying about the acidity or alkalinity of your tap water. For instance, water changes. As long as the water chemistry is stable, most aquarium fish will adapt to most public water supplies.

All you need to do is remove and replace about half the water in the tank every week or two and the fish and plants will be fine. There's no need to be concerned with nitrogen levels.

I've always followed a sound water change routine and so I've gotten away from testing the tank water. I know it's always safe for the fish and plants. That's the way I do things, though. However, if for some reason, you're unable or unwilling to commit to such a water change routine, then you should invest in a good tesing kit and use it regularly.

B

My nitrate is almost 0. But if that's ok then I won't be worried. I do weekly water changes so that makes me feel better. Thanks.

Hello Shope...

Unless you keep and breed rare fish, you'll be better off concentrating on more important aspects of the "water keeping" hobby than worrying about the acidity or alkalinity of your tap water. For instance, water changes. As long as the water chemistry is stable, most aquarium fish will adapt to most public water supplies.

All you need to do is remove and replace about half the water in the tank every week or two and the fish and plants will be fine. There's no need to be concerned with nitrogen levels.

I've always followed a sound water change routine and so I've gotten away from testing the tank water. I know it's always safe for the fish and plants. That's the way I do things, though. However, if for some reason, you're unable or unwilling to commit to such a water change routine, then you should invest in a good tesing kit and use it regularly.

B

Couldn't agree more, stable parameters and a good tank maintenance routine is all you need to worry about.
I don't know how long you've had your tank setup but most recent setups have low nitrate levels. No worries though b/c over time your nitrate level will rise and you may start asking how to get the level down. Again as long as you keep up with a maint routine your parameters should be stable and nitrates in check.

Okay thanks that makes me feel a lot better. I have had it set up about 5 months and I have had a lot of trouble. But things are going good now it seems like. I am going to rehome my Pleco soon because he is too big and then I should be able to add some more fish. I'm sure ill be asking questions then!

Back
Top Bottom