Quick question on Fluval Biomax

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sergiotorr

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi! I recently bot a used Fluval 405 off of CL. I used it without even opening up and taking a look at the media baskets and my tank water was crystal clear! But then i decided i should service it and replace everything in the unit since the seller said he owned it for a year and had never ever replaced anything since the day he first set it up. I removed all the media including the fluval biomax with all the BB i needed on it (Im totally new to this hobby). I replaced everything from sponges to all new media. so i have 4 new sponges, bottom from top goes...pre filter ceramics, 2 carbon bags, fluval biomax, and Hagen biomax. My question is how long does it take for BB to start to grow and make a difference in my tank to clear up. My water is around 10-15% cloudy and the tank seems as if it needs to be cycled once again. I added Tetra SafeStart and my Ammonium, nitrite, and nitrate readings are at 0.25ppm. I added TSS so it can help aid the cycle. The fish seem fine with normal activity as always. Any help would be appreciative!

Looks like you're going through a mini cycle because you removed the biggest portion of your bacteria. You still have bacteria on the surfaces inside the tank though, so frequent water changes should get you back to normal before long.

Don't replace your media, ever. You're wasting money, IMO, with the carbon. I run the 4 sponges (that never need replacing until they're literally falling apart, just rinsed well every 2 weeks or so in old tank water), and then ceramic rings in all the media baskets. Carbon is only good for about a week or two, but unless you're trying to remove meds from your tank, or a foul odor, it's completely unnecessary.

When you say carbon is only good for removing meds do you mean like after water changes and you add ammonia and chlorine remover? So should i remove the carbon and pre filter ceramics and replace those baskets with biomax? how long should this mini cycle last?

No, I mean medications that some people use for treatment of diseases. I don't use meds, and because I do weekly 50% water changes, I never have issues with odors.

The length of the mini cycle could be as little as a day or two, or as long as a week or two. It really depends on how much bacteria was in the tank vs the filter. Just test your water every day, and make sure you keep the ammonia and nitrite as minimal as possible.

BTW, what's TSS?

But when you do water changes you do use a ammonia and chlorine remover right? TSS is a bottle of magic (well thats what ive read lol) that it helps speed up the bio process in a fresh new aquairum! So far im a believer because the day before my ammonia levels were at 1.0ppm with no nitrite and no nitrate. ill post a direct link to the product check it out!

Product Catalog

Nah, that stuff is a waste of money (IMO). Your ammonia and nitrite are dropping because your bacteria colony is starting to grow again. If you look through the forum, you'll see that very very few people here believe in that stuff.

Anyhoo, I use Prime with every water change. I prefer Prime over any other water conditioner.

Prime huh...when I run out of Amquel and Nova aqua ill def try it out! And about TSS Eh I'll stop using it then lol....but how long does it take the BM ceramics to start building BB? Also say if my tank was 2 or 3 weeks old with fish in it and all new media how long would it take to cycle?

Ok so I just took a water test here are my results

Ammonia 1-2ppm
Nitrite .25ppm
Nitrate 1ppm

I would ask what would you recommend but I know the answer lol (water change) but how much water on a percent rate should I change? Also what meds should I use? Amquel? API stress coat? Novaaqua? Or to be specific since I'm going through a mini cycle should I add a product that removes ammonia and only use a product that removes chlorine?

You got it! haha. I would do 50% any time it gets over .5ppm. Are you asking about meds or water conditioner/dechlor? Seems like what you listed are conditioners/dechlor. I use prime, because it lasts forever, but any of the ones you listed will be fine. If/when you run out, i would suggest Prime though. The bottle is a little more expensive than others of the same size, but it lasts about 5 times as long (higher concentration).

You definitely don't want to use any ammonia absorbing anything. They absorb ammonia, preventing your bacteria from using it as food, therefore killing your cycle (or preventing it).

Ah ok basically after every water change only use a product that removes chlorine? Or is there something else that i am missing after my water changes?

Well, during a water change. If you're using a python or similar product, you'll want to add the dechlor while you're doing the water change. In my 150g, I add 1/2 the amount needed as soon as I turn the water on, and the other half about halfway through. Not real sure if it makes any difference splitting it up, or if it's best to do it all at the beginning, but it works for me.

Well... before you jump to conclusions... Most all of the big name conditioners/dechlors *bind* ammonia. They make it sound like it removes it, but it just binds it making it safe for fish, yet still feeds the bacteria. That's perfectly fine. What you want to stay away from are products like Ammo-lok and zeolite... products specifically aimed at removing ammonia.

i have a bottle of amquel plus should i keep using it or just completely stop? ill do as you suggest....

Ok so I did a 50% water change last night and this morning I took a water test. I only tested the ammonia in the water and it's around 1-2pmm. I really can't tell the difference between the colors and my water results. But should I do another water change later today? Remove another 50% of water? Leave it for another day? Is my tank trying to cycle?

Back
Top Bottom