rainbow shark

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alLexX

Aquarium Advice Addict
i just got a rainbow shark from petsmart:grin:,and have some questions:confused: about it. does it need any special food? also,how do i tell if its a guy or a girl?
its a really cool looking fish and i want to keep it healthy

i just got a rainbow shark from petsmart:grin:,and have some questions:confused: about it. does it need any special food? also,how do i tell if its a guy or a girl?
its a really cool looking fish and i want to keep it healthy

I rotate a chunk of cucumber and frozen emerald entree as well as a good quality algea wafer. He also eats what he wants of the flake, brine shrimp, and bloodworms for everyone else.

does the cucumber need to be blanched?if so,how exactly do i blanch it?

A 20 gal will work for a while, but not as a permanent home for a rainbow shark, especially if it's a 20 high. I just soften it slightly in little in a bit of water in the microwave.

im pretty sure its a long,and dont they only get to be 4 inches?if so,why would they need a bigger tank?

I think it depends on their size. Based on their activity level and behavoirs I see nothing wrong with a smaller specimen in a smaller tank. Mine has stayed under four inches and has plenty of room in a 29. However if he continued to get bigger I would move him to a 55. It is not uncommon for them to reach 6". I've even heard of bigger. I know he's cool looking but he is going to grow pretty fast so if you aren't prepared to provide a proper home for a potentially 6" fish you might want to consider taking him back :(

well,once he gets to big/active/territorial i could move it to a 60 gallon

Hi, I'm new at the aquarium hobby once again after several years. Started one years ago and after a couple of years passed it on to a friend. With this new 10gal high model, I've had the usual setup trials and errors. Finally, after about 10 weeks, it cycled crystal clear with good paramaters in PH & zero ammonia. I've introduced (a little at a time), 5 neon tetras, and a pleco and 3 weeks ago, a red-tailed rainbow shark.

He did fine until I noticed his tail appears to be tucked tight and looks pointed and not flared out like it should be. He also seems much more timid, lethargic, and not eating. He has several hiding places for himself and he does so often. A friend has one in his 10 gal and it's been doing great for about 2 years now. Any advice?

Hi Fishstix, welcome to AA. Looks like from reading the link posted earlier that the red tail is cramped in your tank. Seems they need room to stretch out. Lots if advice here and good people too. Welcome again and good luck to both of you

Thanks, Deckape. From reading more into it from others here, I can see mine may not be as lucky as my friends to be happy in a 10 gal setup. I'm in the process of pulling him out right now and taking him back before he gets even more stressed out. What a shame! Beautiful fish too!

Youre welcome, I am glad you care enough to do the right thing. I am new to this hobby and have benefitted greatly from this forum. Ask questions and you will get advice. Welcome again and hope you the best

Thanks, Deckape. From reading more into it from others here, I can see mine may not be as lucky as my friends to be happy in a 10 gal setup. I'm in the process of pulling him out right now and taking him back before he gets even more stressed out. What a shame! Beautiful fish too!

Good for you for making the best decision for that fish! It can be hard to do but it's the right thing :) NO shark should ever be in a 10 gal tank..

As I said earlier today to 'Deckape', I pulled the RFS out and took him back. After about 1/2 hour looking at other fish, I looked in at him again and how he was doing (he was the only one in the tank), and his tail was blossomed out and he was happier than a pig in slop in the much larger tank. I'd swear, he looked at me and smiled!

I spoke to the manager and told him that he should speak to his helper about recommending fish, and what my experience was with the red-fin shark. (He knew I was putting him in a 10gal tank). He took the guy over and asked what happened and I was there to verify the conversation. The manager agreed to give me whatever I wanted to compensate. I told him I'd think about it. His helper glared at me and I told him, 'Hey, don't blame me. Next time, ask if you don't know what you're talking about. Don't just assume!'

I'd like to get another kind of bottom feeder maybe a catfish? But I don't know what kind will be compatible with my 5 Neon Tetras and 1 Pleco?? Remember, I have a 10 gal tank! My major concern is that I don't want to starve my Pleco with another bottom feeder! I do a gravel vac every 2 weeks with a 20% water change because the Neons are so small.

The Pleco is pretty hefty and doing remarkably well! Algae is not a serious problem. I've got the tank setup in my basement which is dark. But, the lighting for the tank is similar to an actual day/night scenario.

Forgive me if I overdo it with the questions! :-(

Bring the questions. No problem. The worker in the store worker and owner are probally having a one sided conversation it appears. I am proud of ya for taking the red tail back and it is also good to hear the owner of the Local Fish Store or LFS as some refer to it was decent enough to make it right. As far as the catfish, you have a 10 gallon tall tank and it is too small for many fish. Catfish would be in the same predicament as the red tail. Plecos get big too. I am not 100 percent sure about the glass catfish. I will find out though. I am sure someone with more experience will let us know. Take care and good evening.

Back
Top Bottom