Rainbow sharks - Ok for Community Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Millerman

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm planing on getting a rainbow shark but have read they can be aggressive would they be ok in a community tank? Any other info and tips on them would be appreciated to.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

They can be somewhat territorial, so its best if they are added to a tank that already has fish established in it. If its added first then there's a good chance it will claim the whole aquarium as its territory and the other fish, which it will see as intruders.
They grow to around 6", so keep in mind that it should have similar sized tank mates. Fish that are much smaller might start to look like food.

You never mentioned your tank size, so I thought I'd bring that up as well. Considering its adult size and activity level, make sure you have enough space to house one. 55 gallons its generally thought to be the minimum recommended tank size.

Rainbow sharks

Ok thanks I have a cycling 55 right now forgot to mention that. I know they don't do good with other bottom dwellers but I read they can be kept with loaches. I also plan on adding some zebra loaches do you or anyone else have any experience with keeping them with loaches?

Sorry, Ive never kept any kind of loaches, but from what little I know about them I cant think of a problem. I would just add the loaches first and let them get well established before adding the Rainbow Shark.

I have Dwarf Chain Loaches with my Red Tail Black Shark (similar temperament and behavior to the Rainbow Sharks) and they get along fine. The loaches were added beforehand, as suggested above. Just make sure there's a decent sized group of loaches so the shark's attentions are diffused across the group. Having lots of hidey holes and broken lines of sight in the tank scape helps too.

Ok thanks for all the help everyone. I plan on getting 5 zebra loaches so that should help.

I have a rainbow shark in a community tank that includes a Pictus catfish. They all get along well and the shark is not aggressive at all. There are two caves in the tank made from rocks. Both the catfish and the shark like to hide in the caves. I often see them together in one cave. They've been together for almost three years and I've never had any problems with them.

Rainbows are a bit hit or miss. In general, I would say your combo sounds fine as long as you follow the advice given for hidey holes and the order you add fish in. Sometimes, you will run across one who is more nasty than the others. So, just keep an eye out and make sure everybody has their own space and I suspect it will be fine. If it happens to go poorly, then remove a fish and rehome it. I think you will be fine though.

I have a rainbow shark that killed most of my tiger barbs before I re homed what was left of the school. He is peaceful with the remaining kissing gourami and bn pleco. All 3 are about 4 inches long.

The aggression will come with age, and as long as you have similar sized fish they will likely be okay. Rainbows are active fish and really appreciate a 48" tank, which you have. I assume you know this, but rainbow sharks don't play kindly with other rainbows or RTBS.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom