Rainbowfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tipton34

Aquarium Advice Freak
If I was to put one type of rainbow with another, would they school? And would the male show off its colors if the only female was another type?

I don't have any personal exp with them, but...my LFS has a 150g and there is always at least 8-12 in there all the time. They do school, but I wouldn't say they are "schoolers". They seem to stay around each other, not so much move around alot in unison.

Thanks, thats helpful. So would it be better to have a group of 4 of a kind instead of having 2 of one and two of another?

Tipton34 said:
Thanks, thats helpful. So would it be better to have a group of 4 of a kind instead of having 2 of one and two of another?

Yes, definitely better to have 4 of all one kind but 6 would be better if there is room in your tank.

Its a 36 gallon bow front! I haven't gotten it yet, just looking at all my options.

Tipton34 said:
Its a 36 gallon bow front! I haven't gotten it yet, just looking at all my options.

Ok. Just make sure you look into what kind you want before you get them. Most of them need a lot of swimming space and a 36 may be too small.

You might try some of the smaller rainbows, such as Melanotaenia mccullochi, M. nigrans, M. praecox. If you decide to go with rainbows, try to get good stock. Many of the fish available through LFS are hybrids and not the most attractive. You might try checking on this forum (Rainbowfish Forum :: Index) for fish.

Tony

Thanks, I may not mess with the rainbows. I rather have more smaller schooling fish instead of just a few rainbows.

Back
Top Bottom