Raising tank pH...safely and slowly?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CPryor

Aquarium Advice Activist
So, my pH from my faucet is about 6.8. My fish are tolerant of this, so I didn't worry about it too much...but I did an impulse rescue and took in a snail someone begged me to take. Poor thing had acid pitting all over, and looks like it's been malnourished judging from his shell growth. She said it was eating her live plants, so I'm sure it was starved.

In any case, I wanted to raise my pH just a tad to help the little guy out - I'd just feel better if it was a good, solid 7.0 to make sure I'm not damaging his shell further. I added a dime-sized piece of cuttlebone to the filter of my 10 gal. today, but I see a lot of conflicting information on weather this really helps, or just alters the kH...either would be good, since that level is also a tiddly bit low.

Will the cuttlebone really help? Is there a better method? Should I just bolster his diet with calcium and leave it be? :confused:

Adding the Ca would be better IMO and safer to the fish as you progress with WC's. The cuttle bone should help the snail as carbonate hardness is based on Ca level. Interesting thought....wonder if the snail would munch on a piece of the cuttle bone if a piece was in the tank? OS.

One way to increase ph is to add crushed coral to your filter or in a media bag hung under the outflow of your filter. You can start with a smaller amount and add more until you get your ph to where you want it. I use montmorillonite clay in my ponds and tanks. You can find it under pond supplies. It temporarily clouds the tank depending on the amount used but if added weekly during your WC it works very well at supplying snails the calcium they need.

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to test my water tomorrow evening, after it's had 24 hours with the cuttlebone and see if anything's changed. If not, I'll start searching around for the materials you all have mentioned and see if I cant get this adjusted. I don't think 24 hours is enough time for it to really work, but.....I just want to get moving on this with something tested and true, since it's going to take some time in any case.

And Old Scales- I looked around, and apparently they will munch on cuttlebone. I added it to my filter hoping the agitation of the water would add the calcium to the entire tank that much faster, but I'm going to break off another small piece to put in for him to get at. Thanks for the suggestion!

Back
Top Bottom