Ram and community?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

max twyman

Aquarium Advice Newbie
i have a 30 gallon aquarium and have:
4 sterbai cory cats.
6 platies
7 cherry barbs.
the tank is looking nice and i havnt en-countered (touch wood) any problems yet.

i was wondering to finish my tank off (fishwise)
could i add 1 or 2 german blue rams?
should i add 1 or 2?
would it be aggressive with the cherry barbs?
just some general info on this would be great :):)

the tank has many plants in and i plan on adding more so the rams will have hiding places

thankyou! :)

how long has it been running?did you cycle it?are the parameters stable? gbr's are extremely delicate, some people have trouble keeping them alive in tanks with perfect paramaters that have been running for years. but other than that,i imagine one would do fine(they are quite peaceful)

it has been running for almost two months now. Yer i cycled it and everything (nitrites, ammonia etc) are stable and perfect atm. i might try to get one coz i really do like them but thankyou very much. would there be any agression between the cherry barbs as its not a huge tank

i doubt there would be any aggression(again,they are very passive). but i suggest waiting until the tank has been up and running for 4-6 months before getting one. what are your paramaters now?

are there any other types of fish u would recommend i get for my 30gal. instead of the ram perhaps? :)

Bolivian rams while not quite as colorful as GBR's are hardier, you could add one or a pair. If you add a pair the only time you would have to worry about aggression is when they are breeding. They make a good community fish. If you really want GBR's then just be patient and let your tank mature alittle more. When keeping GBR's you need to stay on top of weekly water changes because they are sensitive to nitrates.

i looked at bolivian rams but don't they get very territorial or is that just at breeding time?

Bolivian rams are more hardy so you can add them sooner than you could GBR's. They are also very peaceful and would only have aggression issue when/if breeding would occur.

Back
Top Bottom