Random snails in my tank?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Michlol101

Aquarium Advice Activist
Never had snails and never bought any,, what type are they and are they safe?

image-4252365413.jpg

image-579576587.jpg

Never had snails and never bought any,, what type are they and are they safe?

They most probably arrived with plants. They are safe as far as I know, but they do produce rapidly. Leave a piece of cucumber in the tank overnight and in the morning all or the majority of the snails will be on it :)

Looks like you have pond snails. They are considered a pest and can reproduce like crazy. Unless you want snails I suggest you get rid of every one you see, or if you have a loach they will take care of them for you

Snails are beneficial to your tank, as long as you do not overfeed it should be relatively easy to keep population under control.

Snails are beneficial to your tank, as long as you do not overfeed it should be relatively easy to keep population under control.

I agree some can be beneficial personally I find pond snails don't do much for the tank( I'm sure people with disagree but it's only my opinion) . Nerite and mts are the ones I always keep in my tanks

what are mts? :huh:

Malaysian trumpet snail they reproduce like crazy but with sand substrate they're great. Most of the time they are under the sand and stir it for you and help avoid poison gas pockets from developing.

Malaysian trumpet snail they reproduce like crazy but with sand substrate they're great. Most of the time they are under the sand and stir it for you and help avoid poison gas pockets from developing.

If I have a planted tank with eco complete do I need to worry about poison gas pockets? or is that only for sand substrate?

If I have a planted tank with eco complete do I need to worry about poison gas pockets? or is that only for sand substrate?

To be honest I'm not sure I always go with sand substrate, I've never used Eco complete.

No gas pockets with Eco. MTS are good for all substrates as they help reduce edible detris in the substrate and aerate it and they mostly only come out in the dark and go back in at first light so your not seeing a ton of snails when the lights are on. They only go through a population explosion if there is a lot of excess food in the tank.

If I put them in my african cichlid tank, would they be eaten?

If I put a few assassin snails in my tank, would I not cause the same problem with them reproducing?

Assassin snails can reproduce but I don't think as quickly as MTS. Remember all snails reproduce more quickly when an abundance of food is available.

Will Malawi cichlids swallow em whole and eat em or choke?

Back
Top Bottom