Re-stocking 120G

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fufu

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Sorry to bother everyone but after some thought and discussion with my LFS I've decided to restock my 120G with the following:

4x silver sharks

2x pindares

1x nicaraguensis

1x multispinosa

1x Parachromis friedrichsthalii

1x jack Dempsey

1x Oscar

1x robertsoni

1x green snook

1x red snook

1x gold saum

1x steindachneri

My LFS helped me with this list and seems it will be ok but I still wanted the advice of everyone here

If I'm not overstocked I'd like to add

1x synspilum

1x ghost knife

1x blue acara

2x threadfin heckeli

4x rainbow bosemani

2x chocolate cichlids

3x clown loaches

I'm looking forward to everyone's input

P.s I'm planning to replace my cannister to make sure my filter can handle all this

Would this work?

Fufu

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

That seems overstocked to me without the stuff you want to add. A ghost knife will outgrow a 120 gallon and clown loaches need groups of 5 as do rainbowfish. I can't comment on all of the cichlids compatibility; that's outside my knowledge.

I'm willing to leave out the ghostknife and re home my clown loaches.

I'm hoping to get an answer about the cichlid combo though

Fufu

I would be very careful with following advise from a SELLER who thinks that list is ok....
Have you ever owned any of those fish before?
Is the 120g 4' or 6'???
Big +1 with sini and mike...

@mikem691 really an Oscar and GT/GS max out a 120?

@coralbandit it's a 4' 120G. I know this limits my selection. But I was hoping I could have a few. If it helps everyone I will put in order of favourite to least favourite and go from there?

1. Oscar

2. Gold saum

3. Parachromis friedrichsthalii

4. Red and green snooks ( or just one if I have to)

5. JD or synspilum

6. Pindare

7. Robertsoni

8. Steindachneri

9. Nicaraguensis

10. Multispinosa

Fufu

@coralbandit. Never owned any of these fish. I'm doing my research on all of them but I favour the input of members here over the internet

Fufu

@mikem691 really an Oscar and GT/GS max out a 120?

Short answer yes.
2 12" extremely messy fish in a 120 will need at least a 50% weekly water change to keep nitrates in check. Oscars will get HITH easily with high nitrates.
Then there is the territory issue. 1 12" aggressive sa/ca will claim 2/3rds of a 4 ft tank if not the entire tank. There have been many Oscar keepers on here that were doing 75% every 5 days on a 125 to keep nitrates under 20 with one tank mate.
I would repost this in the cichlid area and get advice from some of the others that keep large sa/ca's. Most will agree with me.

Short answer yes.
2 12" extremely messy fish in a 120 will need at least a 50% weekly water change to keep nitrates in check. Oscars will get HITH easily with high nitrates.
Then there is the territory issue. 1 12" aggressive sa/ca will claim 2/3rds of a 4 ft tank if not the entire tank. There have been many Oscar keepers on here that were doing 75% every 5 days on a 125 to keep nitrates under 20 with one tank mate.
I would repost this in the cichlid area and get advice from some of the others that keep large sa/ca's. Most will agree with me.

I see. Wow ok

I'll repost in the cichlid area and see what the feedback is like there

I appreciate your advice

Fufu

Back
Top Bottom