New Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CoreySheli

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok so this aquarium isn't actually new. It used to house African Yellow Labs, for a long time but my dad has always wanted live plants and my mom wanted more colors other than yellow so I decided to surprised them and switch it up. I brought the yellow labs to my LFS and picked up some fish from various stores. The new inhabitants:
Fauna:
1x bristlenose pleco (old inhabitant, stayed in tank)
1x clown pleco (old inhabitant, stayed in tank)
8x white-tipped rosy tetras
4x Bolivian rams (unsexed)
8x corydoras (unidentified, the lady said they were albino corys but they definitely aren't. I just said yes because that means they are cheaper)
10x rainbow emperor tetras (Nematobrycon lacortei)
Flora:
4x (I separated them) Sagittaria Subulata
7x aponogeton
2x ozelot sword
1x amazon sword (super small, runner from another plant I have in a different tank)
4x crypt balansae
8x crypt wendtii (I just said 8 because I don't actually know how many but there is a fair amount)
1x java fern bolbitis

*I plan on upping the rosy tetras to 10 or 12 but PetSmart only had, and I'm on the lookout for more of the java fern and some type of red plant, I haven't decided what yet*

My questions:
How does this stocking sound to you all? Can anyone help me identify these corydoras? And can I add a centerpiece fish (I was thinking some type of gourami or something similar)?

PS: It's a 60 gallon tank, I forgot to mention that haha
Pics to come

Hm the corydoras might just be corydora aeneus 'black', does that look right?

Your grouping of fish look fine. The aquascape looks really good too. Might consider a Rainbow cichlid or an Electric Blue Acara as a center peice.

Your grouping of fish look fine. The aquascape looks really good too. Might consider a Rainbow cichlid or an Electric Blue Acara as a center peice.

Thank you! I'm excited for the plants and fish to grow so it doesn't look so bare! I really wanted to do an EBA but they are a bit too pricey for me personally as a single fish. Do the rainbow cichlids spend time in the mid and top?

Rainbow Cichlids are more likely to be mid level to lower level swimmers. They are not aggressive and grow to about 5". You also might consider a Firemouth Cichlid. I keep five of them. They swim at all levels. I've kept FM' s with several different varieties of tetras with no problems. FM' s can be very colorful, but be choosy, shop around for the best one. They grow between 4" - 6". Most of mine costs $3 - $4 bucks. This is one of my FM's.

Attachments

• 20180427_080303.jpg
    20180427_080303.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 61
Oh that's a lovely firemouth. You don't think I'd have a problem with the firemouth eating my tetras do you? They are still small, around an inch right now

A few more smaller fish to add some pop/color check out the ember tetra's. Red ones. They'd look good in there.

My FM's swim with Diamond, Red Eye, Buenos Aires, White Tip Rosy' s and Black Skirt Tetras.
No problems. Buy a Juvenile FM. They are usually about 1" - 1.5" . Here is a pic. of an inch long baby FM I had in QT last month swimming with White Tip Rosy Tetras.

Attachments

• 20180503_210501.jpg
    20180503_210501.jpg
    261.4 KB · Views: 44
My FM's swim with Diamond, Red Eye, Buenos Aires, White Tip Rosy' s and Black Skirt Tetras.

No problems. Buy a Juvenile FM. They are usually about 1" - 1.5" . Here is a pic. of an inch long baby FM I had in QT last month swimming with White Tip Rosy Tetras.

Oh wow, that would be a good size. You don't think they'd grow faster than the tetras and eat them?

FM's are mostly all bark and no bite. Probably wouldn't eat tankmates unless they were very small.

FM's are mostly all bark and no bite. Probably wouldn't eat tankmates unless they were very small.

Haha sweet, thank you! I'm making another trip to petsmart later this weekend or next week, hopefully they have one

As long as you get a small one they should be fine. A lot of people wouldn't put neon tetras with angel fish cause that's shark bait. But I did. Lol! everybody has got along for along time now. And my angels are all full size. Angel fish are a beautiful center piece. You could get a betta just don't get one with a big tail.?

Be sure to check out your local mom & pop fish store and Petco for the best FM prices. Petsmart in my area was selling them for seven bucks a peice. That's outrageous. I paid $2.99, For both of my pictured FM's. #1 from a mom & pop, #2 From Petco.
There is a lot of color variation in FM's. Some have intense color, some are dull. Be selective.

A pair of Pearl Gouramis would make a lovely addition and add size and style to tank.
They are among the most peaceful of gouramis and I consider them the 'champagne of gouramis '....They are a colorful fish when grown out...

As long as you get a small one they should be fine. A lot of people wouldn't put neon tetras with angel fish cause that's shark bait. But I did. Lol! everybody has got along for along time now. And my angels are all full size. Angel fish are a beautiful center piece. You could get a betta just don't get one with a big tail.[emoji16]

Only problem with a Betta is the upper portion of my tank has a lot of flow

Back
Top Bottom