ready for dumb question # oh who knows, lol

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

motherspice

Aquarium Advice Activist
My son got me a air pump wisper 30 to 60 gals and a air curtern strip thing that the bubbles come out of, lol:-? any way looks like alot of bubbles, lol can the fish have to much air??

No your fish will be fine. In fact they will love the extra bubbles. I have several fish that will swim back and forth in the bubbles.

The filter also provides for some oxygenation, so an air pump isn't necessary - but, like the others said, it won't hurt and lots of fish, especially cories IME, love to play in them.

I like them knowing that I am adding just a bit more aggitation to the water! My fish do seem to like them and I enjoy them (infact when I first plant my 28 gallon all I ran on it with the plants was a bubble wand, adn the plants took off! wouldn't do that with fish though

The filter also provides for some oxygenation, so an air pump isn't necessary - but, like the others said, it won't hurt and lots of fish, especially cories IME, love to play in them.

Air stones, wands, filters do not provide any oxygen to the fish. They cause the water to be turned over exposing more surface area of water to the atmosphere. Oxygen exchange and absorbtion takes place at the water's surface and will never supersaturate. Temperature plays a large role in determining how much oxygen a given volume of water will hold.

Per cubic foot of water: @ 20 degrees C : 3.1 cubic inches O2
@ 30 degrees C : 1.3 cubic inches O2

Per cubic foot of water: @ 20 degrees C : 3.1 cubic inches O2
@ 30 degrees C : 1.3 cubic inches O2

Pretty amazing that 86oF water contains only 40% the dissolved oxygen found in 68oF water. This really drives home the point that extra aeration must be provided while heat treating for ich or if your AC breaks down! It's nice to have the actual numbers. Where did you find this info?

Father was a Pharmacist.

Found it in one of the charts in the Pharmacopedia. A book on how to mix up drugs, etc... about 7" thick.

We use to have a bubble wand in our FW tank and I believe it was the neons that went CRAZY when we put it in... LOL, like in the movie Nemo where that one fish was all like "bubbles bubbles bubbles" every time the treasure chest opened.... LOL

OH and there are no dumb questions, only the ones you don't ask!

Back
Top Bottom