Really worried please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Newkeeperotis

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have just been told that my silver sharks that I have had for nearly 2 months will eat my shrimp neons nd harlequins is this correct please help

Most likely. All though they are not aggressive they will eat what ever will fit in their mouth and they get quite large.

There are two types of fish that people refer to as silver sharks. Do you have the Bala Shark or the Colombian Shark?

You will have more time before a Bala will get large enough to eat the harlequins and neons. Your shrimp are probably menu size now.

Colombian sharks get bigger faster and will be able to eat your smaller fish sooner and will eventually need brackish water and a very large tank.

They are silver with a black out line around there fins I don't know which type they are here's a pic of them

Attachments

• image-2548014499.jpg
    image-2548014499.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 72
  • image-3002988190.jpg
    image-3002988190.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 61
  • image-3934262787.jpg
    image-3934262787.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 65
Looks like a bala shark, the info on them above was good, they also prefer schools and need larger tanks. Are they in the 125l(33g) tank listed in your profile?

image-4147226777.jpg

"The bala shark is a peaceful community fish that swims all over the aquarium. They enjoy a planted aquarium with places to hide and also space to swim freely. Bala sharks are commonly sold when they are only an inch or two but can grow over a foot so before purchasing one make sure you have adequate space for when it grows up to an adult. They can dart around very quickly so be sure that there are no sharp edges on decorations in you aquarium."

Hope that helps!

http://freshwaterfishkeeper.blogspot.co.uk/2010/12/bala-shark-care.html?m=1

Yes I have 2 and they are very happy in the 125l and have grown very little in 2 months I have large logs that they love to hide in and they seem to love being the bosses of my tank

looking at the size of your Bala compared to the Rasbora in the pic, your neons and rasboras should be fine for a while. You have a good amount of time before they need to be re homed to a bigger tank. Hard to say anything about your shrimp. I don't keep shrimp because they become an easy meal for just about anything outside the tetra family, it really limits choices.

At the moment there like 5-7 cm long and they stay away from the shrimp how rapidly will they grow I feed them flakes frozen food and peas for a varied diet

That is a good diet. You will most likely have to rehome in 6 months to a year for them to grow healthy. Balas can grow over 12 inches. Minimum tank size for an adult is 75 gallon and they really should be in at least 100 gallon. Try googling them and learn all you can. That is part of the fun of fish keeping for me.

Back
Top Bottom