Recommendations on where to get good rocks appreciated here!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SpaceButler

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've been having trouble getting rocks in my tank that don't cloud the water or screw something else up, despite thorough rinsing and boiling. I tried some slate pieces before that I really liked, but they made the water cloudy and it didn't clear up on its own.

I've heard that one could go to a local landscaper and get some river rocks for pretty cheap. Has anybody taken this route? I would appreciate hearing how those of you with rocks in your tank came about them. Ideally, I'd like to just go outside and find interesting rocks to get in my tank, but I just don't know what's safe and clean.

I see I see. Only problem I have is that my water from the tap will have a rising ph from just sitting there alone. Pfft.

I wouldn't be against soaking it in distilled water from the store. Would that work alright?

Slate should be fine, I know many people who use it. I got 100lbs of "river rock" for about $30 at a landscape co. I would also love to go walking around looking for rocks. Unfortunately I live in southern Louisiana and a rock is as hard to find as an unattended food flake in a cichlid tank. This used to be a swamp. :clown:

By the way Happy Mari Gras evry one. A day late

Ok. I'm not against buying stuff.

Is looking at landscape companies a good place to look? There's just so many in the phone book. Spose I better start calling.

Next time you do a water change, leave some tank water in the bucket, add the rocks, and watch the PH.

Up here there are builders supplies (stone yards) that you can get flagstone pieces at, since the pieces are so small, they usually don't care if you take them (ask first) since you are just cleaning up the mess. Look for slate type, not lime type tho..

I have about 50lbs of various sizes here that I got for free from a yard. Those same pieces from a LFS would have been about 100$ 8O

hth

Just a few days ago I went to a landscaping type place. Mostly had slate, but they sold river rock as well. 100 pounds for 8.50. I loaded up my car with easily 150-200 pounds, the guy came out and without even picking anything up decided I had 70 pounds. Talk about a deal.

I would stay away from sandstone and limestone. I heard that the water will break down the stones, causing the PH levels to go out of wack.

That was a good deal DanW0007! :) Man you got away like a bandit!!

Ive heard some called Texas holey rock...its just a form of igneous rock. I bought some for my freshwater tank although it was called something else. I boiled mine in a large kettle for an hour before I placed it in the tank, but I have never had a clouding issue or an out of control water parameter. Please look at my gallery pics...I know the tanks in my pics suck....they are all no longer in existence, but I still have the same rock. Ill get a newer picture of the tank soon.

Back
Top Bottom