Red cherry shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chasnkevin4ever

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey everyone I'm getting me some red cherry shrimp off of aquabid. I was wondering if I could put the shrimp in my JD's tank? Or will he eat them too?

JD as in... jack dempsy? If so, they'll likely be gone within seconds.

Dempseys are cichlids and cichlids tend to do best when kept with other cichlids. As far as an algae eater, try nerite snails.

Hey everyone I'm getting me some red cherry shrimp off of aquabid. I was wondering if I could put the shrimp in my JD's tank? Or will he eat them too?

It's really important to do species compatibility PRIOR to purchase..... unless you were just buying a meal for your existing fish. Got a 10 gallon hanging around? Put the RCS in that.

LyndaB said:
It's really important to do species compatibility PRIOR to purchase..... unless you were just buying a meal for your existing fish. Got a 10 gallon hanging around? Put the RCS in that.

It may be hard to hold off on buying whatever it is, buy in the long run you'll be glad. Proper research will make anything you try and do a success, especially in this hobby.

The RCS are going in my 20 g community tank with one ram and guppies. I will put my snail in the jacks tank!

It may be hard to hold off on buying whatever it is, buy in the long run you'll be glad. Proper research will make anything you try and do a success, especially in this hobby.

That's what I have been doing and I found the RCS are what I want :) I have already researched and can't wait to get them. I am also ordering iodine for them.

+1 I'm really confused about the iodine.

Also, there are very few species that are safe with RCS. I know my corys and otos don't pay them any attention. My assassins snails are good with them, too.

The research also should include whether the existing fish you have are compatible with the new species that you're interested in. It's not just about what you want in this hobby. I'd have a lot more species if that was the case. ;)

Yes, your ram will eat the RCS.

Do you recall where you saw that iodine suggestion?

+1 I'm really confused about the iodine.

Also, there are very few species that are safe with RCS. I know my corys and otos don't pay them any attention. My assassins snails are good with them, too.

The research also should include whether the existing fish you have are compatible with the new species that you're interested in. It's not just about what you want in this hobby. I'd have a lot more species if that was the case. ;)

So would my Bolivian ram and guppies be okay with the RCS?

your ram will eat the RCS.

see above

guppies will most likely eat them, too..... but not as many as they have smaller mouths.... then again, I'm sure you probably have more guppies than rams, so it's even.

If you definitely want shrimp, I'll bet jetajockey can advise you on other shrimp species that could co-exist with your other fish.

Back
Top Bottom