Red/Millennium Rainbowfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nolan99

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am new to this site so I am not sure if I posted this in the right spot. I have had these two fish, which are supposedly a male and female for about 2 or 3 months. They are supposed to be either Red Rainbowfish or they may be Millennium Rainbowfish. Either way I spent $20 on each of these and neither are any red. They just remain a yellowish brown tinge. I am really hoping they will color up soon. Does anybody know if they will? Any comments will be appreciated.
Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 96
Whoa where do you live that you had to spend $20 on one?

Looks like either the color hasn't come in yet or you got two females instead. They do best in groups of five or more, so stress may be playing a role. Also when you have a few males mixed with more females their colors come out a lot more vibrant. If the other one looks just like that though I'd say you got two females.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Red Rainbows are 20$ where I live as well.

It looks like a female to me as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Will the females redden up any bit. Here is a picture of the other one:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 78
Sorry that's the same picture!! Here is the one that the people at the fish store said is a male.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 69
I don't know enough about this type of rainbow, but from the pictures online it looks like the females stay that golden color. Still a cool looking fish. I'm guessing they said he's a male due to his body shape compared to the slender female. How big are they?

They are about to and a half inches. Yeah they looked up how to sex them and said it was due to the body shape.

Hmm my boesemani are all less than that and showing color, so I'd assume it should be showing some sign of red either in the fins or on his body. Maybe wait it out a little bit, if your tank and wallet allows for it get some more and it'll both increase your likelihood of getting males and cause the males to color up quicker.

My Red is about 2 inches and he is red. But the second picture does have a different body shape. Curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom