Red tail shark color

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grode15

Aquarium Advice Activist
What's the best way to get my red tailed shark to show the best colors his tail isn't really that red its sort of orangy red and kind of translucent. Everything besides his tail color is fine. He swims around and eats. My water perimeters are fine. Are there any special foods I can give him that could bring out his color? These are the foods I feed my fish everyday and the shark eats a little of everything.
uhejesa9.jpg

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Best water conditions possible, and it might be a female. Females are more gray and have less red tail color as well/males more black darker red tail.

Males are more slim looking and females body looks more like a triangle shape, as if you were looking from the nose to the tail. Broader belly.

They will also be pale if stressed. So possibly tank mate issues, depending one what else you have in there. If the tank is too small it can be stressed. I should have a 30G for smaller younger fish to 55G+ tank. They can get 6" and 3+" tall and ~1.5+" wide my female was a big girl!

Last edited:
All the tank mates are peaceful except my bristlnose pleco at feeding hell knock the other fish out of the way sometimes. Its in a 30 gallon long right now but the shark and all my other fish are all small right now. I'm going to upgrade my tank soon though because I knew the shark would need more room eventually. I'm going to get at least a 70 gallon but most likely I'll get a 100-120 gallon. Also my water conditions is fine so maybe its a female like you said. Thanks for that answer :)

All the tank mates are peaceful except my bristlnose pleco at feeding hell knock the other fish out of the way sometimes. Its in a 30 gallon long right now but the shark and all my other fish are all small right now. I'm going to upgrade my tank soon though because I knew the shark would need more room eventually. I'm going to get at least a 70 gallon but most likely I'll get a 100-120 gallon. Also my water conditions is fine so maybe its a female like you said. Thanks for that answer :)

Yeah, I thought something was wrong with it when it wasn't as dark as what I thought it should be. This is a poor pic but you can see the body shape, probably will get more pronounced with age as well. This pic she was around 7 years old. But after doing a boat load of research about her. And having great water params, etc. That is what I found out. :)
60074-albums11380-picture50628.jpg

Mine liked blood worms, frozen defrosted, brine shrimp and the Hikari omnivore sinking wafers.

I know this pic is a Rainbow shark, but I think it is a male (it is still young) and you can kind of see the difference in the body shape.
60074-albums11380-picture65421.jpg

Also, as a side note, the RTS can have a white tip to the top/Dorsal fin, or not one at all. Just in case you have one or don't have one, you will know, either is fine. lol We worry about our fish. :)

So I guess mines female since it looks pretty much like yours. Thanks for helping me solve this.

Back
Top Bottom