Red tail shark comparable with rummy nose tetras??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Loachlover101

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all! I recently set up my new 60gal tank and want to add some more fish. I love the rummy nose tetras, they are great schooling fish! But I also love the red tailed shark... I know they are a bit mean and are notorious for chasing fish around.
I've heard mixed reviews on them and heard they calm down with age...
My lfs has one (that was a return because it outgrew someone's tank) and it's about 5-6in long...
He looks so peaceful with the fish he's with in the tank, but I'm not sure how he'll be with a school of about 20 rummy nose....
Any advice?
Thanks in advance!

Do you mean rainbow shark or redtail shark? I would go with a rainbowshark personally.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

In a 60G it's not impossible and personally I'd say it will be more linked to your bottom dwellers if it fails/succeeds. Both sharks are territorial so if they can find a place and chill without constant harassment they'll normally be fine.

Actually I just looked at your stocking and you're insanely overstocked as it is.

No don't add it you need to rehome the black ghost first of all. The clown loach needs to go as well as the tiger barbs or your rummy nose tetra will die. If its a common pleco it needs rehomed and last if you want the discus you can keep rummy nose tetras with them but no barbs, pleco, or red tailed shark. They need warmer water than all those fish to except for the tetras.

I have been trying to update my tank but I can't edit my profile!!! I don't have all of those fish at the moment.
Currently I have:
7 barbs (5 tiger 2 albino)
4 discus (THAT ARE FOR SALE OR TRADE)
5 yo-yo loaches
1 African featherfin catfish
And 1 ghost knife that I am going to put into my 125g once it is set up...

On another note... How do you edit your profile?!?! I've been trying to update pictures and my stocking... Help ?

Your tanks maxed out now until you get rid of the discus and the ghost knife don't add anything until they are gone. Also keep an eye on your yoyos with that catfish. They are generally aggressive with other bottoms dwellers they will usually beat them to death. I have one and its amazing but he's the only bottom feeder.

Your tanks maxed out now until you get rid of the discus and the ghost knife don't add anything until they are gone. Also keep an eye on your yoyos with that catfish. They are generally aggressive with other bottoms dwellers they will usually beat them to death. I have one and its amazing but he's the only bottom feeder.

Really? He seems so peaceful! He may be an upside down cat... The lfs didn't have him labeled correctly.. (If that even makes a difference)

It does the regular upside down cats are small and peaceful the featherfin a get around 6-8 Inches and can be aggressive especially at night.

Your black knife fish needs to go. They get huge. Clown loach would prob be ok as they grow very slowly, i'd only rehome once it gets over 8". Orange barbs, are they Rosy barbs? If so they need to be in 6+ and i'm suprised they havn't terrorised your Discus yet. Same with the Tigers, need to be in 6 or ideally 8's.

If i was you i'd decide whether you want peaceful/ graceful and base your tank around Discus, rummy nose and clown loach.
If so, i'd get another clown loach, 7 more rummys and maybe something like bolivian rams and large hatchetfish.

If you want rough and ready, keep the barbs but increase qty, get some danios and some tougher cichlids, you could then put a rtbs in, but you may get problems with it as they vary in attitude. Keep buying and trading in until you get an easy going one if you like them that much. Thats what i did.

Personally in addition to the knifefish i'd scrap the eel either way.

And if the pleco is a common pleco, get rid. If its a dwarf such as a bristlenose, you can keep that whatever you do.

Your black knife fish needs to go. They get huge. Clown loach would prob be ok as they grow very slowly, i'd only rehome once it gets over 8". Orange barbs, are they Rosy barbs? If so they need to be in 6+ and i'm suprised they havn't terrorised your Discus yet. Same with the Tigers, need to be in 6 or ideally 8's.

If i was you i'd decide whether you want peaceful/ graceful and base your tank around Discus, rummy nose and clown loach.
If so, i'd get another clown loach, 7 more rummys and maybe something like bolivian rams and large hatchetfish.

If you want rough and ready, keep the barbs but increase qty, get some danios and some tougher cichlids, you could then put a rtbs in, but you may get problems with it as they vary in attitude. Keep buying and trading in until you get an easy going one if you like them that much. Thats what i did.

Personally in addition to the knifefish i'd scrap the eel either way.

And if the pleco is a common pleco, get rid. If its a dwarf such as a bristlenose, you can keep that whatever you do.

I have an update on the stocking of my tank in the comment above... My profile hasn't been updated in a while.
I want to get rid of my discus (so if anyone wants them...lol)

It does the regular upside down cats are small and peaceful the featherfin a get around 6-8 Inches and can be aggressive especially at night.

I'm not sure what it is -____- it's only about 2 1/2in right now...

I have been trying to update my tank but I can't edit my profile!!! I don't have all of those fish at the moment.
Currently I have:
7 barbs (5 tiger 2 albino)
4 discus (THAT ARE FOR SALE OR TRADE)
5 yo-yo loaches
1 African featherfin catfish
And 1 ghost knife that I am going to put into my 125g once it is set up...

On another note... How do you edit your profile?!?! I've been trying to update pictures and my stocking... Help dde13

Sorry, just seen your update. Yeah, barbs and discus not compatible. I think you may struggle putting yo-yo's with rtbs.

As i say, if you want a rtbs, keep only the barbs from that lot. You could replace discus with things like rainbow cichlid, female con, keyholes maybe even firemouth but it's always a bit of a gamble. Add the rtbs last anyway.

There is an option on the PC version of the site to update your profile. I use an ipad and you can't do it from there as far as i can see, had me stumped for a while!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1387832664.902020.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1387832676.507075.jpg

Which one does it look like? The first ones a Featherfin catfish notice the difference in dorsal fin and color from the 2nd one which is an upside down catfish.

Sorry, just seen your update. Yeah, barbs and discus not compatible. I think you may struggle putting yo-yo's with rtbs.

As i say, if you want a rtbs, keep only the barbs from that lot. You could replace discus with things like rainbow cichlid, female con, keyholes maybe even firemouth but it's always a bit of a gamble. Add the rtbs last anyway.

Yeah I'm having a hard time figuring out all the fish it want in my tank.. I've had the discus and barbs in there together for a while and they don't bother each other at all (since they just mind their own business)
My barbs aren't aggressive at all and I was quite surprised! They just playfully chase each other around.
And my discus don't mind at all... But they just don't fit the tank I am trying to accomplish so I'm going to try and sell or trade them. Or possibly take them to a fish store for some in-store credit...

Oh ok they are an awesome catfish but don't add the red tailed shark in with him. If the shark even try's to chase him the catfish won't hesitate to attack him. I have mine in with an Oscar and a comvict and you should see the con mess with him. The catfish beats his *** every time.

Back
Top Bottom