Red Tail sharks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hockeydude1510

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have always wanted a shark in my tank but never had a big enough tank. Now I have a 38 gal. aquarium. with platie, mollies, guppies, and gouramis. Will the sharks do well in my tank if so how should i get

From what I have read, the Labeo bicolor or Red-tailed Black Shark is not from the shark family, despite its name. It is actually from the Cyprinid family. It looks like it got its name because its dorsal fin looks like a shark. It may be quarrelsome. I would worry about putting it with guppies and gouramis, but someone with more experience may differ. Most recommend only one because they quarrel with their own species.

Hmmm, I'm not sure if this would be such a good idea. I have never owned a shark, but I did extensive research on the red finned/ rainbow shark to see if I wanted to add one to a 29 gallon tank that I am going to be getting. After reading up on them, I decided against it. They are not the same as red tailed sharks, but they are very closely related. (jokerfac is right, they aren't actually "sharks" but part of the cyprinid family and related to minnows.) You do have a pretty big tank, but I would be worried about the other fish who would be sharing space with the shark. You definitely cannot get more than one in that size tank, as they are very intolerant of their own species unless they are in a group of at least five. Also, if you have any fish with red coloring, they might be attacked. Most of the fish you mentioned are small and peaceful, and I doubt they would be able to defend themselves if the shark started going after them. I would strongly suggest you do some more research first.

Try this site, and see what everyone has to say:
http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/gbicolor.html

Also, take a look here:
http://www.centralpets.com/pages/critterpages/fish/freshwater_fish/FWF4612.shtml

Back
Top Bottom