Red Tailed Shark Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mordred

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 40 gallon tank that I am slowly moving the inhabitants over to the new 140 gallon tank. While in the 40 gallon, my red tailed shark was a punk and always harassing the other fish despite having 3 caves to hang out in.

Now that I have the new 140 gallon tank, with a ton of room I am wondering if it is worth trying it out in the new tank, or just sell him back to the local fish store? So far the the other fish in the new aquarium are getting along.

So my question is, are red tailed sharks always harassing other fish, or do they mellow out when having a decent amount of room?

Thanks!

I currently have a red tailed shark in my 29g and he does just fine, no aggression at all. He doesn't even use the "cave" i put in there for him. He sneaks in between some plants and a false tree stump I have.

Well, first we need to know the other fish in the tank.

If the aggression is triggered by a fish with a similar body style there may still be rare occassions of aggression as red-tails seem to like to cruise the entire tank (well, I've never had anything as big as a 140G). When nothing else in the tank resembles a red-tail (body shape and not necessarily colors) they don't usually present very much aggression.

The tank mates are a red peacock, blue peacock and a pleco.

I have a red tailed shark and he is in a larger tank with no aggression and there is a bala shark in there as well. When in the smaller tank, he was more aggresive. I personally think you will be fine as I mentioned. It certainly can't hurt to try IMO, they are an entertaining fish.

Back
Top Bottom