Redtail shark

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nikkid1987

Aquarium Advice Activist
My fiancés dad has an aquarium and he recently got a red tail shark. Well the sharks tail is fading out a lot and he says it's bc of the light. So yeah I don't know. I figured it's because he doesn't ever give the dang fish a break and turn off their light. But I don't know and even if I told him he wouldn't listen lol he thinks he knows all things fish lol

Yea won't listen to me. He got colored lights so at least they aren't regular lights in the sense that they are darker

So...
The RTS's color is fading (likely due to stress).

Your soon-to-be Father-in-law says it is because of the lights.

But he wont reduce the amount of light the fish is exposed to?

I cant wrap my head around that.
Heres a similar scenario Ive imagined. Let me know if Im overthinking it.

Friend: "Your fish are fat. They dont look healthy"
Me: "Because I overfeed them"
Friend: "Maybe you should feed them less"
Me: "No"

Lol pretty much nailed it! He said that the person at the fish store told him that it was because he was using a standard normal aquarium light.and that a colored light or moonlight whatever kinda light is better for the fish. And they won't lose color like that. Well I showed him where i read fish need "night time" too ( u know lights OFF) lol well I should have saved my breath because he doesn't turn em off lol he got colored lights and still keeps em on all the time! I give my fish lights off time everyday and they are good :) I will keep doing it how I'm doing it and reading stuff and asking questions here lol

Exactly lol that's why I just keep my mouth shut lol but they think I'm nuts when I float new fish lol like " what the **^****££ are you doing? Just dump em in" lol how about No!!

Could also be an inappropriate diet. Red tail sharks show their best colors when consistently (I.e twice a week or so) fed frozen food such as brine shrimp and bloodworms.

I think he feeds them the bloodworms Like 2 times a week like said above lol I just would die if he actually listened to me about the light though lol my fiancés mom listened lol she turns the light off for her moor and fancy goldfish duo at night time now :) all thanks to me lol

Back
Top Bottom