Reseal tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's an empty tank I scored from my fish supplier, I've done some research and I think I got this!

Yeah I'm having the worst luck - my 3ft tank has a massive crack in the bottom and I need to replace it - now this leak in my smaller tank :-/ hubby is going to try to sort it out when he gets home. Crappy day!!!

you have to make sure you remove all the silicone from the tank new silicone will not stick well to old. You can use GE #1 silicone to reseal.

I had to reseal my first tank. I was brand new to fish keeping and did lots of research before hand. I just took a razor blade and scrapped every bit of the silicone off. I spent two days going over it. New silicone will not stick to old silicone. Then I cleaned the corners with acetate, finger nail polish remover. I used 100% clear silicone with no additives for mold preventer. The one thing I wish I had done was use masking tape and tape about a half inch from each corner. That way you get a nice clean silicone line. I just squirted it into the corner seam and wet a finger and run it along the line to work it in. It left a bit of a thicker and messy corner but it has been running for almost 2 years and no leaks.

Back
Top Bottom