Resealing my 55 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Krystle

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just got a 55 gal tank but it has been sitting in a friends warehouse for god knows how long. Some of the silicone at the edges are pealing. Haven't filled it all the way up yet, but just wondering how I would reseal it if need be. My boyfriend says I would need to cut out the old before replacing with new. Just wanted to get some input before I start cutting into my aquarium :) thanks

Razor blade and yes cutting the old out scraping the old residue off letting it completely dry. Then adding the new. It's not hard just very tedious. If you want a good seal it's important to get off as much of the old as possible.

Side note any silicone (with out) mold protection will work. And using a caulk gun is so much easier then them toothpaste like tube ones you get from a lfs.

I re sealed one of my 55's last year and again at the top when I replaced the top bracket/trim.

Thanks for the info :) why without mold protection? Just curious

I would add, you need to remove ALL the old silicone making up the fillet bead inside the tank, before resealing. This needs to be done carefully so as not to damage the silicone between the panes, which is what holds the tank together. when you are positive that all the old silcone is removed, go over it all again with a fresh razor blade.
As for silicone, GE Silicone I "for Windows and Doors" has been safely used by many. Do not use anything that says "Kitchen and Bath" or "Tub and Tile" as these have mildewcides. I generally use house brands, because they are cheaper and state aquarium safe on the tube. As mentioned, get a caulking gun (around $3) and tube of silicone, which typically costs the same as a small squeeze tube of the same stuff.
As mentioned, it can be tedious, especially the first time, but well worth the effort and not technically difficult.

Back
Top Bottom