Results of water tests

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

7bubbles

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everybody. I am quite new in this hobby so please help me.

I started a 40g tank about two months ago. I cycled it for three weeks before adding the first fish. Since the first day I have been testing the water on a weekly basis (and more often while cycling it). I use an API Master Kit (drops), so results should be accurate.

Once Amonia and Nitrite were zero I added the first 4 Platys. Since that moment the pH has been constant at 8 and Nitrates at 40 (unless I am colour-blind or my colour chart in the test kit is not accurate).

I have been doing weekly pwc of 20%-25%. Before and after the pwc the levels are pretty much the same: pH is 8.0, Amonia and Nitrite are zero and Ntrate is 40.

Since the levels have been very much the same, regardless of the number of fish, I have assumed they are fine and nothing to worry about... until today were I have the following burning questiosn:

1) Is 40 too high for Nitrate? Should I try to lower it? How?
2) Should I try to get the pH down?

At the moment I have:
4 Platys
2 Mollys
4 Corydoras
5 Glass catfish
1 Apple snail
1 Swordtail
1 Siamese Fighting fish

Your help will be very much appreciated

Hi everybody. I am quite new in this hobby so please help me.

I started a 40g tank about two months ago. I cycled it for three weeks before adding the first fish. Since the first day I have been testing the water on a weekly basis (and more often while cycling it). I use an API Master Kit (drops), so results should be accurate.

Once Amonia and Nitrite were zero I added the first 4 Platys. Since that moment the pH has been constant at 8 and Nitrates at 40 (unless I am colour-blind or my colour chart in the test kit is not accurate).

I have been doing weekly pwc of 20%-25%. Before and after the pwc the levels are pretty much the same: pH is 8.0, Amonia and Nitrite are zero and Ntrate is 40.

Since the levels have been very much the same, regardless of the number of fish, I have assumed they are fine and nothing to worry about... until today were I have the following burning questiosn:

1) Is 40 too high for Nitrate? Should I try to lower it? How?
2) Should I try to get the pH down?

At the moment I have:
4 Platys
2 Mollys
4 Corydoras
5 Glass catfish
1 Apple snail
1 Swordtail
1 Siamese Fighting fish

Your help will be very much appreciated

NitrAtes (no3) at 40ppm is at the top of the safe scale IME and unless your fish seem bothered by the 8.0 pH it's good too. Stable pH is more important than what level it's at and trying lower it is a tough nut to crack (I've tried many ways, little/no luck).

I'm surprised the no3 doesn't drop when you do a PWC. If you're at all interested in plants, Anacharis can be floated or planted, is an easy/no hassle and cheap plant that will soak up the no3, provide cover/hiding spots and some fish love to munch on it.

Mr. Limpet said:
I'm surprised the no3 doesn't drop when you do a PWC.

I just did a test on tap water and the Nitrate level is 40, which explains why changing the water does not have any effect.

I just did a test on tap water and the Nitrate level is 40, which explains why changing the water does not have any effect.

When you do a PWC, do you prep the water in a bucket? If so, do you add it right away or let it set for a spell? If you prep it (in a bucket) a day ahead of a PWC, that may help. Testing it before hand and seeing where the no3 is (after sitting for 24hrs) is a good test too.

I prep the water in a bucket and add it right away. I will follow your advise and replace some of the fake plants for anacharis and see how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom