Returning from reef...would like some advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

groucheux

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi. I've had a 55 gallon reef tank for four years that I will start converting to a freshwater setup tomorrow. I think I've decided that I'd really enjoy a community tank. I'd like some advice on stocking the tank. I have most of the supplies...heater, anywhere from 40-160 watts of light, a skimmer 400 filter, powerheads, etc, so here are some questions.

1) do I need an undergravel filter? like I said, I have a skimmer 400 (I think it does 125 gph or something).

2) I'd like to keep my tank relatively low stress (that's why I'm leaving the reef:)), but I would like some plant life. What's the status of live vs plastic plants these days?

3) I'm thinking of a kind of river theme...lots of plants, maybe some driftwood...what type of gravel do you suggest? The room the tank is in is done in kakhi and dark brown.

4) Now for the fish. Can you give me a good combination of fish. I'd rather go with many small than 1 or 2 large. Again, I like color. I'd like to keep the cost of the livestock to around $100 if possible.

5) Lighting...I just bought a 20,000k bulb. I know that the actinics are out for freshwater...would the 20k work? What other bulbs will look nice? I was thinking about going with 120 watts. Is this too much? Too little?

6) misc livestock...in saltwater snails and crabs are good additions...what about freshwater? Are there any cool little dudes to add to the diversity of a tank?

Very excited about the tank (if you can't tell!!) Thanks for any advice you can give me!

grouch

1. I don't think you use skimmers in FW, and UGF seems to be an antiquated method. A nice biowheel or canister would be best.

2. I have had very good experiences with silk. Check out the silk plants at www.bigalsonline.com, they are very realistic, especially once you get them into the water.

3. You can do any gravel you want. You can get pea gravel for cheap from a nursury (make sure to clean it well), or you might even like a sand bottom. I think ( i have been very confused lately on this topic so please correct me if I am wrong) that in a fw tank you want to look for a silica based sand instead of argonite.

4. Do you have any ideas what you want? Right now some of my favorites are ottos and corys, which both do really well in schools.

5. Lighting, I am not so sure on.

6. For fun definately add some ghost shrimp.

4. For large fish I reccomend 1-2 angels. They are beautiful when fully grown, and are generally peaceful in a community setting. Then you could also do a couple schools of tetras or barbs, a school of bottom feeders, and maybe some loaches. I reccomend cardinal tetras, but if you get adult angels right away, make sure you get bigger cardinals.

5. 20 000k is much to bright and will likely cause algae problems. 6700k is best for freshwater. Light isn't really a big deal in freshwater if your not doing live plants (which I do not reccomend if you want a low stress tank). 120 watts of 6700k would be fine.

6. Freshwater crabs/lobsters will kill your fish and I do not reccomend them. And shrimp will likely be eaten if you have larger fish. A couple large apple snails or mystery snails would work though.

Back
Top Bottom