Reusing gravel???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

earhtmother

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Think the answer is as obvious as it seems but asking anyway.
Approx 3 months 38g sprang a leak along the bottom seal and had to be drained. Life interfered & never got back to it til now. Had MANY MTS in the gravel which I am assuming are now dead. Without picking out all snails and then multiple rinsing and constant monitoring of water can I reuse the gravel? Would love to save the almost $100 worth of gravel ($28 for a 25lb bag) but really don't have that kind of time at this moment

Of course you can reuse the gravel, but it would be a good idea to thoroughly rinse it. If you don't want to go that route, buy small grain pea gravel from Lowes or Home Depot. I spent 5 bucks at Lowe's for enough pea gravel to fill my 65 gal. Tank.

Rinsing I can do, it is the issue of multiple - I am talking over 50 - dead MTS in the gravel that I am more worried about

no need to worry. everything that died probably long decomposed by now. and regardless, any dangerous compounds that might have accumulated will wash away with a rinse anyways leaving you with just a shells (which maybe a problem if you don't like the look of them.

here is the interesting part - if its been only a few month-half year you might have still live ones. when condition gets harsh MTS (and others too) will seal themselves inside the shell to try and preserve moisture during the "dry season". when the conditions are right they might get out.

Don't mind a few MTS as I have lots of Assassins in the other tanks from (adult to newborn) if they get out of hand

Back
Top Bottom