RIP to my blue rams :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeymourFRESH

Aquarium Advice Freak
welp, about 2 months ago my male ram became very sick. he could no longer swim properly and mainly stayed at the bottom. it seemed as if it could not elevate itself more than 8 inches off the substrate before going back down to lay on the bottom. due to the fact that i could not catch him (planted tank with lots of decor) i just decided to leave him be and see what happens. well, around a week later one of my female rams started getting popeye. i treated the entire tank with maracyn plus

the ram with popeye just kept getting worse, and then that fish finally died. the male was still alive, but his belly seemed to be sunken. one month passed, and then my other 2 females began to develop sunken bellies and began to look very dim in color. 2 weeks ago i decided to catch all of my rams in the middle of the night after removing most of my decor. i set up my 10 gallon QT and treated it with Metro+ for a week. (at the same time, the cichlids in my african tank were developing sunken bellies too, even though there has been no direct contact between the 2 tanks. but that's a different story)

day by day passed and my rams just kept looking worse and worse, looking like they were withering away. so yesterday, i just decided to euthanize them. i flushed them down my toilet, and it was extremely sad trying to watch them swim against the current from the water. i just hope that what i did was for the best. hopefully i can learn a lesson or 2 from this: it's either don't hestitate to treat sick fish, or don't buy rams anymore because they always end up getting sick out of nowhere.

the sad part is, i'd really like to try getting rams again! only because this time i will not buy them from my LFS, but instead get the guaranteed hormone-free rams off of here: http://www.discusmadness.com/Ramirezi.htm

do any of you suppose that it's just the hormone induced rams that don't do well?

I'm sorry for your loss, but flushing a sick fish down the toilet is not an acceptable form of euthanasia. The fish might have suffered for hours in chlorinated water.

Please read this article about euthanasia in case you ever find yourself in this unfortuunate situation again.

Anyway, it sounds like you have internal parasites - not uncommon among cichlids. There are medicated foods out there, but since affected fish don't eat, this disease is a tough nut to crack. I don't think it has much to do with the hormones - it's more of a husbandry issue. Buying your next batch of rams from a reputable breeder will probably give you better chance of success. Good luck

Sorry to hear you lost fish, doesn't sound like a very good two months. But what really sounded bad was describing the poor fish trying to swim against the current in the toilet. Please do check out QTOFFER's link.

Don't give up, you live and learn!

well, i've seen the thread but i've never clicked on it. I guess I should have.

But come on, do you REALLY think flushing them down a toilet is less humane than smashing them with a hammer? Jesus.

I figured they would die quickly, not because of the water current, but because of the large amount of stress and changes in water chemistry (such as swimming in sewage?)

I do feel bad now, though. Next time (hopefully there won't be too many more next times) i'll try the freezing temperature shock method.

Just because it's messy doesn't mean it's not quick and painless. I'd rather bite the dust from something where "I never even saw it coming" than to be slowly poisoned to death. Just my 2c. Anyways, glad you checked up on the thread and plan to do things differently in the future. Sorry to hear about your GBRs.

But come on, do you REALLY think flushing them down a toilet is less humane than smashing them with a hammer? Jesus.

YES. First of all there are a few other ways of doing it. Second of all flushing a fish down the toilet could mean that it suffers for a long time in dirty water before it dies.

Even if smashing the hammer method is what you use, the fish does not suffer. That is the point, not how it looks to you.

Hopefully you will learn from this. We have a duty as fish keepers to try and take care of them.

Back
Top Bottom