River Sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would be very worried about parasites and pathogenic bacteria.
I guess you could bleach, bleach,bleach, boil, boil, boil, rinse, rinse, rinse; but would it be worth the extra effort when you could just buy sand at Home Depot? Unless that river bank locale holds some special meaning for you, I would just get some sand from a commercial source.

Home Depot sand is cheap and you will have way more of it than you need! I paid around $5 CAD (~$4 UDS) for 50lbs. I currently have it in a 29, 10 and 5 gal tank plus about 20 lbs sitting in the spare room :roll:

I used some once because I liked the look of it, full of mica chips and such, just different from HD sand. I boiled it for 2 hours or so, disinfection is key. Then I had to put it in a bucket and test for effects on ph and hardness over several days.
As stated above, more work than you might want to do, but if your pockets are empty and you have time... not a bad deal.
This sort of thing also gets you out in the woods and streams, which I always recommend!

I ended up going with fluorite about 6 months later, but it caused no problems during the time I used it.

Back
Top Bottom