Rope Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joonburg

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a new rope fish and I'm looking for some feeding suggestions. It's in my 55 gallon setup along with full grown giant danios, plecos, gouramis, and white clouds. Basically peaceful fish that are too big for my rope fish to eat. Whenever I try to feed it some tubifex worms, the bigger and faster fish eat the food before it gets a chance to eat. Anyone have any feeding suggestions?

Joonburg said:
I have a new rope fish and I'm looking for some feeding suggestions. It's in my 55 gallon setup along with full grown giant danios, plecos, gouramis, and white clouds. Basically peaceful fish that are too big for my rope fish to eat. Whenever I try to feed it some tubifex worms, the bigger and faster fish eat the food before it gets a chance to eat. Anyone have any feeding suggestions?

Hi.

I have a rope fish, what I do is put a piece of pipe in the tank about 8" long and not to wide so only the rope fish can fit inside. Cover the one end of the pipe with your substrate. At feeding times I defrost some mussel and push it all the way to the end of the pipe, trust me he will find it. Or I've you want to defrost some bloodworm suck it up in a pipette and squirt it into the pipe that will work too. I no longer use the pipe as he has become a confident feeder and feeds well with my other fish.

Hope this helps.

it's been years since I've kept a rope fish, but I remember him loving wardley shrimp, pellets after about a minute on the bottom they would soften and he'd swallow them whole

Hi! I've had my ropefish for quite some time, and he seems to love frozen bloodworms. Some days I also give him shrimp pellets, which he will take, but not as readily as bloodworms. Hope this helps!

Guinness said:
Hi.

I have a rope fish, what I do is put a piece of pipe in the tank about 8" long and not to wide so only the rope fish can fit inside. Cover the one end of the pipe with your substrate. At feeding times I defrost some mussel and push it all the way to the end of the pipe, trust me he will find it. Or I've you want to defrost some bloodworm suck it up in a pipette and squirt it into the pipe that will work too. I no longer use the pipe as he has become a confident feeder and feeds well with my other fish.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for all the feeding tips guys. This really is a big help. I'll pick up some PVC pipe tomorrow at the hardware store. I don't see my other fish allowing this little guy to eat. They're just too greedy. I'll try stuffing the pipe with shrimp pellets and blood worms. I hear beef heart cubes work well too.

Just for the sake of putting in my two cents, my rope fish eat frozen bloodworms and the floating hikari cichlid gold pellets. He also gets neon tetras once in a blue moon and I even fed them ghost shrimp recently

Thanks. Your two cents are very much appreciated.

I put PVC pipe in there with some tubifex in the bottom. My rope fish didn't care for it at all. I tried tilapia and still had no results. I decided to put live bloodworms in there instead of the tubifex. (wow do they smell!) My rope fish went nuts! I saw him dragging out a mouthful that was bigger than his head and greedily gulping them down. Thanks again for the advice guys.

That's good news, glad he has found a food he likes, I'm sure when he has been in there a while he will take to other foods too.

Back
Top Bottom