ropefish/reedfish in a community?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

happygirl65

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello all,

On our last trip to the LFS we found a really neat little "hole" of a store run by one guy who LOVES all things aquarium related, very cool. Anyway he had some reedfish in there and my husband thought they were so awesome (I really like them too, but I too loved everything in the store) So I am trying to find out some more information on them.

Anyone have them? I have found they get to be about 18 inches? But they were very entertaining at the store and he thought...to use his words..."It was the coolest fish I've ever seen" so I thought I would try and find out more from anyone with any experience with them.

Thanks

A good rule of thumb with them is, don't buy a fish small or slow enough to fit in it's mouth, unless you're planning on giving it a fancy dinner of sorts.

They're not likely to grow over 12" in an aquarium, and don't mix well with aggressive fish. They will eat any fish small enough to fit in their mouth, live earthworms occaisonally are good for a supplement to pellets. I once saw one at an lfs tear apart and eat a good-size "blue lobster", snails are likely on the menu as well.

We have 3 of them at school in our koi tank ._. lol They're so funny, they try to steal krill from the koi before they eat them all. Ours are about... ehh..the 18" length but they're in a 150 gal tank ^^;

Back
Top Bottom