Roseline Shark/Torpedo Barb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmartin71

Aquarium Advice Activist
This maybe my new favorite!! I was in a lfs yesterday with my boys looking at rock options for the 90gal and saw these things!! They had 3 different sizes of these fish and they had 6 of the larger ones together.

Could someone tell me if I am right in my thinking that since they are Barbs that 3-6 of these would be the way to purchase them and would they be OK in a 90gal?

Also if I do these would the recommendation be to get the larger ones off the bat or go small or medium size?

What centerpiece type fish would go with these the lfs had them with adult rainbow fish.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

What size you want is really up to you I think. They would work out well in a 90 gal... I would go with closer to 6 than 3.

Rainbows would be a good option.

How big were the sizes? I would lean towards the medium. I have had some fish that were very small not do as well as larger individuals, as well as larger ones not doing as well as younger ones. This way you aren't paying for the largest but aren't risking it with the smallest.

What size you want is really up to you I think. They would work out well in a 90 gal... I would go with closer to 6 than 3.

Based on my experience with denison barbs I would agree with a larger group size. They can be quite timid, especially at first, and should be kept with peaceful tank mates. 90 gallons is a good size for them. They love plant cover, but if you don't want to work with live plants, artificial plants are fine too. They do not seem to be at all nippy like some of the other members of the genus Puntius.

Whether you buy them at small, medium, or large size just depends on what you feel like spending (cost will increase with size), and whether you feel like growing them out yourself or not.

Tank mates for denison barbs include angelfish, Apistogramma/Rams, Kribensis, Keyhole cichlid, rainbowfish, many of the species of Tetra, some of the calmer barbs, small plecos, Corydoras, peaceful loaches, etc. As you can see you have many, many options for stocking that 90 around the denisons; and that list is just off the top of my head and by no means exhaustive. :)

Fishguy2727 said:
Rainbows would be a good option.

How big were the sizes? I would lean towards the medium. I have had some fish that were very small not do as well as larger individuals, as well as larger ones not doing as well as younger ones. This way you aren't paying for the largest but aren't risking it with the smallest.

They had babies ones, medium size maybe 1.50"-2.00", then full grown ones they were like 4-5"they were awesome. They had them with full grown rainbows and I was actually there again tonight to look at them again I'm nuts I know but they had 9 in the tank, some smaller loches they this schooling tetra that had like a checkerboard tail. I was like that's what I'm talking about and they were in a 125gal then I frowned because I only have a 90gal. Then right below they had a beautiful 125 with discus and some others!!

So I will probably do 6!! And I'm really starting to like the larger number of smaller schooling fish so that tetra will fit in nicely!! Knowing me I will change my mind next week!

Back
Top Bottom